Home Technical Talk

UV-Limit (Artstation), 4K-, 2K-, 1K-Set

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!

Asume you texture a character (Body + Props) and have a limit by one 4K texture set.

This is a 4K-Texture-Set :

is that correct, can i layout it that way?

So asume i want to give "Body" and "Props" the same "Texture-resolution"

Body: 2K-Set
Props: 2K-Set
Like this:

arent there 2x2K's unused??

Am i wrong here?
-----------------------

To clear things up, this was the reason for this post:

https://www.artstation.com/contests/feudal-japan/challenges/53/announcements
"Icaro Correia: When you say "The 4k can be broken down however you like (such as multiple 2048 sets)" you mean....example : If I want break in 4x2048, is correct? Or the correct would be 2x2048 ? "

Answer "Gavin Goulden: That would be 4x2048"

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Icaro has confused the math. Look at the first image you posted -- a 4k image is 2k squared. It's not 2k * 2. 

So you can use whatever maps you want as long as they don't add up to more than 4k. 

If you want to use all your space available, consider which parts will be shown up close. For instance, the face might get its own 2k map so you can show all the wrinkles very clearly. Eyes might get their own map. Hair. Maybe you have a hero prop with tons of detail you want to get some up close shots with. 

Check out the marmoset viewers of the winning models from the last contest. If you get in close you'll notice a seam at the neck where the head suddenly gets a lot more resolution than the rest of the model. But they hide the seam with necklace, hair, and so on, so you don't find it unless you are really looking for it. This way, the face looks great in up close shots, while the wrinkles around the nipples are a little fuzzier but thats ok because the camera isn't ever focusing in on the nipples.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am still confused :dizzy:
    is that 1. image correct?
    (4k in one direction, and 4k in the other direction)

for example When i split it up i can split it up by
    4x 2k right?

so that will be
    body 1x2k
    props 1x2k

than i have 2 x 2ks left over?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, just use the first image you posted as a reference, and subtract your maps from it.

They don't all have to be in one 4k atlas. It can be sixteen separate 1k maps. Doesn't matter. 
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if i would do than i would have wasted resources no?
    is it better to keep it in one texture set?

so i can use the whole uv space to get the most out of it?!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you will have an easier time understanding if you make some quick test models and run through the whole process. Just make a  cube man with cube clothes and break them into the material sets you are imagining and see how it works out. 

If I was doing the competition, yeah for sure I'd want to use all the resolution and polycount that I could. My initial idea would be for the face to get 2k map and body get 2k and props get 2k and then hair gets 2k.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay thanks!
    Now i know my initial thought  and the images where right :)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I think you understood it correctly from the beginning. Good luck with the competition! I keep signing up for them but always have some other work in the way. One of these days...
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I think you understood it correctly from the beginning. Good luck with the competition! I keep signing up for them but always have some other work in the way. One of these days...
    Cool!
    Thanks, i wish you all the best luck with it too!