Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese matchlock / samurai breaker

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Olingova interpolator
Hi guys! I finally got the time to try an Artstation challenge; and got my hand into the props challenge..

https://www.artstation.com/contests/feudal-japan

Since i can only spend some lunch time at work to get this one done, i chosed to focus on texturing (that i really enjoy these past few months) and went for a simple matchlock, lettin me possibily work on pretty nice engravings and decorations on the barrel or buttstock; while keeping a simple yet interesting overall shape....
If i am posting here it's to try to fish nice feedbacks about the shape (for now) and later texturing, the goal being to improve as much as i can!

So first here is the moodboard i quickly setup before starting:

Here is the cloking so far; teh challenge was to keep it kinda "heavy looking", a bit like these hand cannons they had in feudal Japan, while keeping it simple. The double chained ammo are stricly designed to break the f** out of theses katakanas and bones, if bones there is!! I would really appreciate any feedback on the proportions and shapes:

Thanks for passing by i look forward to read your crits!! Here is the link of my contribution here if you guys are interested:

I look forward to read your opinions!

Replies

• shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome , Blockout  is  good . 
    Looking forward for more updates .
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Hi there! Thanks a lot; unfortunately (well, not for me) i just took a big week of holidays back in my country; couldn't update a lot! Just added the grip quickly and tweaked some smoothing of the grip; but i intend to work on that bad boys on my next lunch time!

Sorry for the lack of update, will be more pretty soon! Thanks for passing by!!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    To nail the proportions, it may be worthwhile to bring in a standard sized character and kind of put into a rough pose. Reason I say this is because, compared to some of your references, it seems a bit small to me, but it's hard to know for sure. If I picture a hand wrapping over the grip, it feels like the bulk of the weapon isn't as long as many of those references, but can't say for sure. 

Very cool model though -- can't wait to see what you do with it. Especially interested in the engraving.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Yeah that's right, i m gonna give a try!! The weird looking proportions of some of my ref are the thing i really like but it's time i fix it's size and such once and for all, for example for the trigger part.. I will do that this week thanks!
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Hi there!!

Took the time to check the proportions with a free dummy from internet:

Could have added a japanese hat at least but im not planning on showcasing t hat magnificent piece of art later haha

And i succeeded to steal 30 mi of lunch time to keep working a bit on the gun itself:

Just the piece of metal nd screw showed by the red bar that i really wanna change, still there from the blocking. Will be the next step before sculpting then retopo!

Again i will be glad to ready any crits! Definitely wish i had more time for that bad guy but i hope my schedule will get better soon!
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Got a bit away from my schedule and played around in Zbrush; still using the sculptris tool so nothing clean just nailing down the proportions before going for a clean sculpt, since i'm far away from my confort zone there any crits would be greatly appreciated :) I already overpainted the chagne i wanna do or the area i will sharpen later. Thanks guys!

• HixaLupa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    This is so cool- I didn't even know these guns were a thing! Love the idea of putting a mouth over the end!
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Thanks a lot! Worked a bit on that guy and updated the submission on artstation; still wondering what's the best option for  the lenght of the gun what do you guys think?

And here is the sculpt so far, tried to keep it simple / geometric! Felt it was a bit easier to work with.

That's all for now thanks for passing by :)
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Reworked that dummy head to make it a bit more aggressive!

Also started playing with the ammunition's sculpts, good/bad guy edition.

Also started to model a broken katana to go with that katana breaker:

Will keep posting on the artstation thread here if some of you guys are interested:

https://www.artstation.com/contests/feudal-japan/challenges/50/submissions/35274?sorting=latest

Thanks a lot for passing by, look forward to have some crits, please crit it to the ground!!