Home Technical Talk

Software for game industry?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
fullpinkdog greentooth
Hi everyone!
So, i want to work in the game industry as a game environment artist. Modelling in maya, texturing and baking in SD/SP. BUT UV-mapping! I like  UV-mapping in Blender way more than in Maya, but Blender not a standard software of industry. Is this metter, if i want to use Blender only for UV mupping? Or i have to use only "standart" software if i want to work in the game industry? Thank you for your attention

Replies

• Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Just do your UVs in the software mainly used at the studio. I mean, are you really gonna switch software everytime you just have to UV something? UV mapping in Maya is fine, just like in Blender, 3ds Max and any other 3D software. You just have to take some time to learn it.

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Actually Maya has one of the best UVs tool out there after the redesign in the 2017 version and the integration of Unfold 3D, it is one of my favourite things of Maya especially if you don't place seams manually but do something like: auto uv one piece---> stitch them together---> unfold---> maybe press another button to straight them up---> done.

Anyway, i'm not employed in a game company but i think that if a company use Maya and nothing else you must do the UVs in Maya, it is normal.