Home Technical Talk

Fastest CAD Modeling Program?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
poly_troubleshoot polycounter lvl 3
I've been looking into high poly modeling for CAD. I understand more people are moving away from poly modeling for high poly sources in favor of something they can tessellate, re-mesh or quad draw over. I'm looking for the fastest. When I say "fastest," I'm not talking about load time or response time. I'm talking about pipeline production speed. I'm talking about the software with the most "powerful" tools. By that I mean a combination of tools that can accomplish any given task with the fewest number of commands and/or button presses. I like the idea of getting things done quickly and I don't mind taking extra time and effort to learn more tools.

From personal experience, what would you guys say is the fastest CAD modeling software?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've been mucking round with fusion360 and MOI this weekend. 
    The fusion UI is better, it talks to Max very happily and appears to be more fully featured - it's also much more free.

They're both shit in terms of fluidity and general ease of use compared to max/maya  but they're a lot less impenetrable than the real grown up packages. 

• Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    poopipe said:
    The fusion UI is better, it talks to Max very happily and appears to be more fully featured - it's also much more free.
    Free if you're a hobbyist - see Terms of service: Free for startups (under 100K), hobbyists and enthusiasts (using the service on a personal basis that is not for commercial, professional or for-profit use). Otherwise $300/year (standard) or $1500/year (ultimate). For commercial use, MoI is much cheaper.
  • janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    Rhino 3D is as easy as moi 3d but might have more features. It is very cheap for students and with student licence you can do commercial work as well

• poly_troubleshoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_troubleshoot polycounter lvl 3
    poopipe said:

They're both shit in terms of fluidity and general ease of use compared to max/maya  but they're a lot less impenetrable than the real grown up packages. 

Would you say that you can create a high detailed hard surface prop in Fusion and Moi faster than you can in Max and Maya?

If so, which of the two CAD programs has the more efficient tools?

By impenetrable do you mean the overall probability of a random crash?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    yes and no.   

I definitely wont be using Fusion for smashing ideas together - it's painfully awkward to move things around and adjust forms. 

However.. 

I definitely will be using fusion for building the high-res versions of more awkward pieces (chopping holes in cylinders, dealing with sheet metal pressings, sprockets etc. ) once I've worked out what shape they need to be. 

i  found Fusion suited me more than MOI because it has better (or at least more apparent ) scene organisation and  more standard UI behaviour