Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Scifi Girl

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
akiratang polycounter lvl 11
Hi all,

I don't really post here as often as i should, I've been digging up this old model and decided to try make a game character out of it inspired by Trevor Claxton concepts and games like Deus EX. I will hopefully learn alot from the process of doing it too as i haven't made many game ready characters. 

Gonna post updates and screenshots of the stuff I have made here and hopefully get some feedback.

- Initial sculpt. Took some inspirational from Zeronis art, Trevor Claxton and Deus Ex/MGS games. 

- Finished sculpt. I used the topology brush to redo some of the hard surface armour pieces such as the shoulder pads. I like to poly paint my character as it can give me a look of how the character might look when textured.

Also im wondering, is it possible to use this poly paint texture as the base texture? and then further touch it up in something like Ddo? Or is it better to start the texture from scratch?

-
 Retopo. My goal is to have the character somewhere between 20-30k tris. Nothing special on the retop, used topogun  and tried to follow the body form, its not a fun part but necessary step. So the body is 14,500k tris exactly. 

Started working on the hair, initially I was just going to retop the sculpted hair. But then decided against that since I actually have not made proper polygon planes hair before and wanted some practice. It was hard to find good tutorials on game hair, but I came across Tom Parker hair tutorial for games and its been a huge help. It needs more work but its a start.

Replies

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update. Just unwrapped the model and did some test bakes.
    Brought it into substance painter, haven't messed with any materials yet or did any painting (this texture was taken from Zbrush polypaint) but Im looking forward to adding different materials and it will be my first time using substance painter. There is a few errors, mainly there is a seam along the thigh area but I should be able to paint it out inside 3Dcoat. 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Why don't you scale her torso up a bit she look like an accordion like that
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why don't you scale her torso up a bit she look like an accordion like that
    Im wondering if that is something to do with the perspective distortion, those were taken from Marmoset.  The initial images of the zbrush shots dont look quite as squished i think. Ive uploaded a orthographic view as a comparison taken from SP. It shouldn't be too much of a issue to scale her up if need be, thanks for pointing that out!
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You have the whole things so simple check where the mid point is .If is close to greater trochanter you are in good shape
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Wow this is a great bit of work so far, love the bodysuit. One thing is that the eye seems to be a little too far away from the furrow of the brow. It may be what you want in terms of style, but for me at least it makes her look a bit goofy. 
    A smaller bit of crit would be for your screw details, as they lack reason to be in some places. Unless she is bolted in to the suit, if so bring that part out even more, they seem to greebles for the sake of it. You can really squeeze more out of the design if you keep the functionality. EG: how does she open the suit to get out. 

Hope this helps
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ said:
    Wow this is a great bit of work so far, love the bodysuit. One thing is that the eye seems to be a little too far away from the furrow of the brow. It may be what you want in terms of style, but for me at least it makes her look a bit goofy. 
    A smaller bit of crit would be for your screw details, as they lack reason to be in some places. Unless she is bolted in to the suit, if so bring that part out even more, they seem to greebles for the sake of it. You can really squeeze more out of the design if you keep the functionality. EG: how does she open the suit to get out. 

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the feedback. Some good points , I will take a look into the eye area for sure, I left the brow abit plain at the moment, Im not sure whether to sculpt and paint it in or add hair planes yet. 
    Yes I admit most of the screw details is just mainly for the sake of it , mostly cause I love adding those sort of details even if they dont add any functionality what so ever haha. 
    I didnt really think about how she would get out of the suit I sort of took as it would come off in pieces. I suppose I could add a zipper to the back, or if i do want to bolt her into the suit, I could change the design of her face ,and make her look more like a andriod or something of that sort. 
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Texture update.
    Added some materials and detail to the model, Looking alot better I think. I'm no expert in SP as I only started using it for the first time last week!, But its fun adding different materials to break up different parts. 

Screenshot taken from Iray in SP.

Screenshot taken from inside Marmoset Toolbag.

I have a question, I am using multiple texture sets inside SP, Is there a way to combine the texture sets into one UV during export? 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    So the method I found when I ran into this was to combine the textures in substance designer. However if you are putting this in marmoset it doesn't really matter too much right, no one will see. Obviously for a video game you would want to do this in order to save drawcalls.
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out one way is to just compile the files together in PS, I also found this texture combine program by Christen which also works .
    https://gumroad.com/l/TextureSetCombiner 
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Started on inital head texture. This is also my first time making a character with a inside of a mouth, so will have to texture those parts as well (Mouth is slightly opened atm for cleaner bakes). The hair is quite annoying but I am happy enough with it for now, I also added alpha hair planes to make the lashes and eyebrows. Ive learned so much from making her so far tho :)
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Texturing the head- 
    Screenshot taken from Marmoset with basic skylight and no added lights yet. I Adjusted the skin tone and also moved the lips so they dont look quite as opened. I am using 2k textures only, and looking back at the unwrap I did I kinda wished I made a separate UV sheet for the head instead of having it all in one, so I could get more detail out of it. But it looks Ok i think, will probably go onto posing the character,tweaking some things and i forgot to add the little metal rings to the straps too. 
  • Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man your skin tones right now look like they are lacking hue variation which is the key to making a face really feel real. This involves layers of subtle changes of colour. Partly due to how much mass is in certain areas or if veins are present and so on. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywhVkZBtq8
    this is a really awesome demo by Magdalena Dadela which is worth watching to get an better result. 

Hope that helps!
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ said:
    Hey man your skin tones right now look like they are lacking hue variation which is the key to making a face really feel real. This involves layers of subtle changes of colour. Partly due to how much mass is in certain areas or if veins are present and so on. 
    this is a really awesome demo by Magdalena Dadela which is worth watching to get an better result. 

Hope that helps!
    Thanks Lou!

I will take a look at that, looks to be a good vid 
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tweaked some of the textures and the face. Add the rings missing from initial sculpt. 
    So far shes just below 25k Tri's, and uses one 2k texture map which includes the head and body.
    Will probably get into posing it later this week :)
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did a initial simple pose for her. Some stretching issues but nothing major.
    Posing really brings her out more, I was sick of seeing her in T-pose for the longest time lol
    Will do more renders and call her done.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is pretty good so far.  Her face feels a bit too plasticy at the moment.  hairs on the right side of her head feel a bit weird in terms of flow.  the ones that are basically flat to her head going straight back.  
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    This is pretty good so far.  Her face feels a bit too plasticy at the moment.  hairs on the right side of her head feel a bit weird in terms of flow.  the ones that are basically flat to her head going straight back.  
    @slosh
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Its nice with someone of your calibre saying it looking pretty good,makes me feel I did somewhat decent :)
    Yes with regards to the face ,I might have maybe put too much exposure in the render/materials or maybe didnt tweak the roughness map enough. I've never worked PBR based before and only started using SP last month but definitely learned alot during this process.
    The Hair I might add some more planes and tweak the placement but otherwise I spent quite abit of time on it and it wasnt that fun of a process lol..But my next project I'll try do better. Much appreciated! 

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some screenshots.
    Gonna call her done and name her Ada :)

Shes about 25k tris total and uses one 2k texture UV set  
    Some self crits, she was ideally made to be seen in 3rd person and not super closeup, but i wanted reasonable detail in the right places.

If I was to make her again I probably would have used a separate texture sheet for the head to get more detail out of it. Not sure why i opted for one texture sheet for the whole thing, i guess i wanted her to be compact without too many textures to deal with.

Also her tri count isnt that high, but I dont really know what games use nowadays. The hair isnt perfect and might not flow the perfectly but i learned some new techniques along the way doing it. This was my first low poly character i've made in years and my first pbr based character.

I learned alot from making her, first time using SP and learning how to make polygonal hair cards more effectively. Hope you guys like it and onto the next project!

• marco_3D_artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marco_3D_artist polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing work!!! I really like it!! the hair are awesome
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Did a mini presentation/construction shot. 
    Done now, onto the next project :)
  • Ymed_Omri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ymed_Omri polycounter lvl 2
    Great Job!!!!! I love it so much I've decided to start my sci-fi girl aswell^^