Home Career & Education

Selling Exclusive Single Customer 3D assets?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Psynema polycounter lvl 3
Hello all, 

Has anyone tried selling 3D assets to a single customer for a higher price so that studio/ customer gets an exclusive asset...Instead of spending a work week on an asset, only to get $20 a month for  a grand total of $300 ...a year later...for 45 hrs of work...you can say sell it for $899 or something, market it to studios, they're the ONLY ONES with that asset, vs. a public one.  They can save the hassle of interacting/hiring a stranger or contractor online and save their in house workforce 40 some hours with the click of a button etc.  

I was thinking of trying it but wanted to know if anyone had experience doing this or had insight.  

Replies

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Let us know what you find out if no one answers.

I'd say it looks pretty much like freelance work, just that in the latter case the client can get exactly what they need, matching their exact specifications. While there are situations that studios need assets "right this minute" it's still not as common as the opposite. So just like with other pre-produced assets, it's pretty much a gamble on your part and while the reward would be bigger,  the chances of finding that one customer are slimmer.  Since your avatar is a camera, you might be aware that offering exclusive licences is pretty common with stock photography and I think I've seen that for 3D scanning services as well, but producing an asset for a week seems risky, as you can't easily take multiple shots or variations to sell separately as that would undermine the exclusive part in case of a 3D asset that's easily modified by the customer as well.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    The reason why selling assets has a better price than freelancer is that they get their cost covered by multiple purchases. Its a gamble - will you hit at least the 'break even'-point with the amount you sell.

Now with a single asset this sounds like a very odd strategy. The freelancer will typically ask for a price to cover his expenses and some gain  - while you will do what exactly? Your costs will be the same as his. He/she will be doing exactly what the studio needs and be reachable through out the process. In the meantime you will be gambling that someone needs your asset with no financial advantage since you will have the same costs? Why should anyone come to you and pay the same as for a freelancer? Just because your asset is already done and unique? How will this so unique piece fit into your potential clients project? And if its a regular realistic item, why pay the price for a unique asset, when there are significantly cheaper options from regular asset sellers? Is you quality going to be that much higher? 

As long as you can't add more value to it than saying its an 'unique' 3d asset, you will have a very hard time justifying the same price as a freelancer and anything less will probably result with you taking a loss. To me it sounds like you would lose the advantage that mass production has on the price side as well as the flexibility a freelancer offers, with the only real potential gain being that your asset would already be finished. The exclusiveness is probably rather a problem than an advantage.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    As I understand it, he would still sell if for a lower price (but prices vary, of course) and while freelance work would be more attractive financially, he could work more freely (at a cost and his own risk) and bridge downtime.
  • Psynema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psynema polycounter lvl 3
    Actually I'd probably sell it normal price, or not much less, with opportunity for change commission time later on.  The main advantage I was going for as Noren said, is 

1.  Downtime work
    2.  Free reign work
    3.  I don't have to worry about NDA / portfolio display restrictions 

While interacting with a freelancer may seem like a benefit, I'm sure other studios may feel otherwise.  If they see a monster pre-made, that fits their universe, and don't have to worry about another game with the same asset...then what's the downside for them.  They get to inspect the model before paying as well via Marmoset Viewer etc.  

I feel it could be an icebreaker for studios that gets tons of resumes.  Even if a studio THINKS that the asset may be of use and asks a few questions, but doesn't bite, at least you're on their radar for future freelance work.  Going through the process of resume sorting, portfolio watching, and hours and weeks of interacting with briefs is a big barrier to people.  

Maybe it's just me, but selling pre made models doesn't seem lucrative to me as a public/bulk sale and it seems very hard to get into that.  (Tools and tutorials are much better IMO for public sales).  

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Interesting idea. Marketplace assets cropping up in other people’s games is a major stumbling block for  for Indies, even though they know it’ll save them shitloads of money

Thing that strikes me is you’d have to work like a maniac to keep your “stock” topped up, and that means creating a load of stuff which might never sell. I guess over time though, you get a feel for what types of asset people want, which ‘lines’ sell well, but even then you’re still obliged to keep each one unique or it defeats the purpose. So, oddly, you need to walk a line between niche and popular. 
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Psynema said:
    Actually I'd probably sell it normal price, or not much less, with opportunity for change commission time later on.  The main advantage I was going for as Noren said, is 

1.  Downtime work
    2.  Free reign work
    3.  I don't have to worry about NDA / portfolio display restrictions 

While interacting with a freelancer may seem like a benefit, I'm sure other studios may feel otherwise.  If they see a monster pre-made, that fits their universe, and don't have to worry about another game with the same asset...then what's the downside for them.  They get to inspect the model before paying as well via Marmoset Viewer etc.  

I feel it could be an icebreaker for studios that gets tons of resumes.  Even if a studio THINKS that the asset may be of use and asks a few questions, but doesn't bite, at least you're on their radar for future freelance work.  Going through the process of resume sorting, portfolio watching, and hours and weeks of interacting with briefs is a big barrier to people.  

Maybe it's just me, but selling pre made models doesn't seem lucrative to me as a public/bulk sale and it seems very hard to get into that.  (Tools and tutorials are much better IMO for public sales).  

I see the advantage for you, I don't see one for the client. He is paying a freelancers fee for a market place type item.

Especially the part about pre-made monster. There is some much to consider with characters and creatures - starting with rigs, design, optimization... 

I would expect hero assets are probably the least sought after on the market because they have to fit the game in every imaginable way and are subjected to change. You typically go and get the most generic assets from market place to fill up the game without taking time from your artists. Also complex assets like characters or other rigged stuff is probably surrounded by a pipeline with a lot of things to consider. Why should someone buy a random expensive pre-made item to have his artists re-work it to fit into the game? As said before you can't cut the costs of a freelancer enough to make up for his/her flexibility.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made 16 asset packages for the Unity asset store.  I've also purchased thousands of dollars worth of assets, plugins and software for studios.

If your assets aren't selling, you are doing it wrong.  You've picked the wrong type of assets or you are presenting them incorrectly.  Do some market research on the top ten assets in each category and copy them.  Don't try and be clever or make stuff for your tastes. 

Don't price your assets too low.  I used to charge $20 for most asset packages.  After seeing how studios spend money on assets, the minimum I would charge for an asset package now is $40 or $50.  I mean, $49.99  :)  Learn about the psychology of pricing.  Tricks like decoy pricing work.

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    RyanB said:
    I've made 16 asset packages for the Unity asset store.  I've also purchased thousands of dollars worth of assets, plugins and software for studios.

If your assets aren't selling, you are doing it wrong.  You've picked the wrong type of assets or you are presenting them incorrectly.  Do some market research on the top ten assets in each category and copy them.  Don't try and be clever or make stuff for your tastes. 

Don't price your assets too low.  I used to charge $20 for most asset packages.  After seeing how studios spend money on assets, the minimum I would charge for an asset package now is $40 or $50.  I mean, $49.99  :)  Learn about the psychology of pricing.  Tricks like decoy pricing work.

Literally this ^ 3 months ago i uploaded on the Unreal store one environment asset pack for around 30 $ that i originally made it for my portfolio and nothing more, then i said "let's try to sell it on the UE marketplace", i optimized all the stuff for the marketplace and after they approved it i did some marketing on the various social media and forums...long story short it sold quiete well and it also has been featured recently and it is still selling.

The only problem with assets is that if you want to target different engines you need to re-optimized everyting for that engine like re-exporting textures in Unity or UE compressed format, re-compose the scene and so on.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Maybe limited runs of 3D printed maquettes (like hazardous arts) count as what you mean?
    Those have higher value given their rarity and sell to a selective market of consumers.
    If all artists valued themselves individually we'd likely charge studios a lot more than they'd pay us.
    But its a competitive market so a lot of people undercut themselves just to get a job and will sell their talents for way less than its value

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    NikhilR said:
    But its a competitive market so a lot of people undercut themselves just to get a job and will sell their talents for way less than its value

dude you gotta get rid of this scarcity based mindset. It's not a race to the bottom, if you have the skills people want they will gladly pay you well for them. There are plenty of cheaper junior to mid level artists here in montreal but I still get offers for close to $100k salary jobs every month. Ever since my first industry job I have always demanded a higher salary every time I switched studios, not undercut myself or other artists. in fact I know I highball salary expectations right out the gate, probably higher than other artists applying and 4/4 times in the last 10 years I still got the job.

once your skillset and experience is high, you can come from the seller frame, not the buyer. Look at most industry's there are experienced people selling their courses for 5-10k and people are happy to pay them for it. There are similar courses you can find for probably 200 bucks but the person doesnt have the leverage of a proven track record, large audience or years of experience. 

Sure there might be lots of undercutting and racing to the bottom for entry level positions in every industry, but focus on getting really good and soon you will be the one setting the price.

back on topic, I would either freelance or work in a salary position if you want exclusive work at a decent rate. remote work is becoming more common too, working from home on a larger production, even if you are employed by a studio.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    NikhilR said:

dude you gotta get rid of this scarcity based mindset. It's not a race to the bottom, if you have the skills people want they will gladly pay you well for them. There are plenty of cheaper junior to mid level artists here in montreal but I still get offers for close to $100k salary jobs every month. Ever since my first industry job I have always demanded a higher salary every time I switched studios, not undercut myself or other artists. in fact I know I highball salary expectations right out the gate, probably higher than other artists applying and 4/4 times in the last 10 years I still got the job.

once your skillset and experience is high, you can come from the seller frame, not the buyer. Look at most industry's there are experienced people selling their courses for 5-10k and people are happy to pay them for it. There are similar courses you can find for probably 200 bucks but the person doesnt have the leverage of a proven track record, large audience or years of experience. 

Sure there might be lots of undercutting and racing to the bottom for entry level positions in every industry, but focus on getting really good and soon you will be the one setting the price.

back on topic, I would either freelance or work in a salary position if you want exclusive work at a decent rate. remote work is becoming more common too, working from home on a larger production, even if you are employed by a studio.
          Scarcity mindset?
          I just meant that undercutting does happen in the industry from both sides.

In many cases it might be unintentional, really depends on the standards people set for themselves.

And of course I've always believed that if you have the skills there are many studios that would pay well for that and you may need to relocate to avail of that opportunity. 

Montreal is certainly faring a lot better than Toronto, so for the time being there is a lot more undercutting here in Toronto given the saturated market and fewer studios that can afford to pay well, rather very few studios compared to the number of schools pumping out game dev graduates.
       Given the high cost of living its pretty challenging. But it does compel me to better myself so that's a plus.

As I add to my portfolio, I've found freelancing for overseas clients to work better for me for the time being to support myself.