Home Technical Talk

Zbrush dynamesh problem

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
M u r t t i polycounter lvl 2
Hi,

Created a cube, duplicated it several times and sculpted details. Then merged all of the subtools together and tried to create one solid mesh by runnign dynamesh on it. Dynamesh created several small holes and wrecked the whole mesh. What am I doing wrong? :/

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Usually when this happens to me I first try doing a check mesh and fix. (Geometry>Mesh Integrity>Check Mesh Integrity then use Fix Mesh)
    If that doesn't solve the issue I export out the subtool and re-import it.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    That is odd that its doing it on only those portions. Were those specific subtools completely water tight? As in were they just cubes that were then sculpted upon or were they planes at any point? Are they perhaps missing a face on the bottom?

What may have also happened is that the sculpting at some point may have resulted in a small hole in one of the cracks/crevices. Dyanmesh can sometimes see the hole and mess up the entire subtool/mesh because it reads it as a concave piece of very thin geometry which is what would cause this type of damage. Try to isolate those subtools that are having issues and dynamesh them by themselves to see if you get a small concentration of broken geo anywhere on them. Then try to repair those holes with a combo of inflate and smooth.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I find this happens often when I'm trying to go from a very low poly object to a very high poly object. Using a lower resolution setting in dynamesh often fixes this. 
  • RS7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RS7 polycounter lvl 3
    might have double geometry