Home Technical Talk

How long would these models take you?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
I pulled a random set of concepts out of my saved collection to consider for my next project and would like to know what you all think it would take for you to complete some of these. I have never created this sort of model for a professional purpose and am curious whether or not I could currently survive in that workplace.
Assume:
That you have to model and texture it, but not rig, animate, pose or present.
That it is a high poly model for an advertisement or other printed image and that polyflow/retopo isn't essential.
That the texture level is as seen on the concepts, not hyper-realistic or anything.

So how many hours would it take you for some of these? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anywhere between 2 and 5 days per textured highpoly model, once you have enough experience doing it.

The best artists are really fast, they are constantly reassessing their workflow, removing indecision and inefficiency. Thus the 2 days.

These people are rare. So they are in high demand.

For now though, don't worry about being fast. Just concentrate on making good art.

Once you are able to make industry-level quality, then you can focus on efficiency.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    There is a guy named Michael Pavlovich who puts out good tutorials on youtube. I'm sure there are other artist like him, he's just the one I know. But this dude is fast. Like he's on speed or something. Very smart dude -- ton's of energy. Watched one of his GDC talks and he just gets going faster and faster. Haha. 

Anyway, if you find people like this and watch a lot of the content they put out, some of their personality may rub off on you. 

As mentioned, I don't think it's good at all to focus on speed. I think as you grow as an artist you will inevitably want to make more complex models, and just by necessity this will force you to start working smarter. If you are a tough art director on yourself, you will inevitably force yourself to make revisions, do-overs, etc. And so you'll start finding ways to improve your workflow. Next thing you know, you are starting to work pretty fast, but the focus the entire time was always on hitting that quality you envision.
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    I watched too many videos of Tor Frick and his speed really pissed me off.  :# He was even bragging about how he did ~180 actions (clicks, button pressed) in one minute. So i tried to get up to speed, knowing i could never beat him in terms of his design quality, but maybe in pure modelling speed...
    Even got a program to monitor actions per minute.
    I focused on pure speed for about 3 weeks then i stopped, i never reached THAT level, but i really got a lot faster than before.
    Its not just pure muscle memory but a different mindset. I am lazy so i don't want to do things twice, especially not unwrapping, so i found ways to optimize my workflow and get really fast with the things i don't like to do, because then they are out of the way.
    I think i got up to 5 times faster with unwrapping and 2-3 times faster with modelling.
    Using Blender and its heavy shortcut driven workflow helped, but it rubbed off to all kinds of programs. I am a shortcut/pie menu addict now and i constantly look for optimizations and better ways to do things.

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    You should focus on quality, and not worry about speed. That will come with practice. I addition the time is different for everyone. It'd probably take me a week to model any of these to the level that I think is acceptable. 
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Anywhere between 2 and 5 days per textured highpoly model, once you have enough experience doing it.

The best artists are really fast, they are constantly reassessing their workflow, removing indecision and inefficiency. Thus the 2 days.

For now though, don't worry about being fast. Just concentrate on making good art.

Once you are able to make industry-level quality, then you can focus on efficiency.
    Do you mean 2 from 5 days working 8 hours a day ?

To answer op from my perspective ( 4 years self taught and selling assets online ), working in the evening for 2-3 hours a day and maybe 5-6 hourse on saturday and sunday it would probably took me a lot of weeks to go from 0 to render maybe 2-3 weeks and i'm talking about the various mechs and vehicles because i don't know how to sculpt humanoid characters so i won't do them.

Anyway speed is something that you acquire with experience by doing the same thing over and over like typing on the keyboard.
    It is way better if you produce quality work instead of focusing on speed because at the end of the day what people see is your end result not a stop watch with the time on the display.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think it really depends on why you're building them.
    I mean there is an average time you can potential estimate, but if you were making these as commissions you would adjust the time on the basis of your rate and expenses.
    No sense working like a madman sacrificing everything to complete these for a client if they're not paying you what you want.
    If starting out focus on quality, speed will come with time.

Also in a work place (which is usually the end goal of most artists doing portolio work) you may not always work on a single asset all by yourself. At times you may work on a part of it with a team, depending on what it is.
    Many times you'd just do layout work, or reskins of existing assets from their libraries.
    So I'd say that instead of focusing on how much time each of these assets take, focus on time management while building them.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the op is talking about non game assets for rendering only, so with booleans and auto fillets, basic materials you can generate mostly automatically using Substance Painter. Faster than 2 days is possible in a work environment where you're doing them regularly.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666

on projects we work its more like 20-50 days. :D
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you all. I do understand the idea of substance/quality over speed. I have been doing modeling for years, just never for a professional environment or even really for a deadline. Getting ballpark figures helps me realize when maybe the project has hit the meandering phase and needs to be finished.