Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weeping Tree Crit

SameerAzimi
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
SameerAzimi polycounter lvl 3
Hi. As the title suggests I'm making a weeping tree and would like some feedback! To me, some of the branches are too thick and I might need to add leaf cards to the empty branches. I have not finalized everything like vertex normals but I would like outside input because it seems a bit off. Thanks!

Replies

• fideorubio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fideorubio polycounter lvl 2
    Hey not really and expert myself but maybe I can point out something useful for you, at the moment everything looks pretty uniform, you have to break the color of the leaves, even if you just make like a couple with the original color and some other with just a HSL node, some of the leaves are actually floating or not properly attach to the branch look into that, and if these are basic planes try to add geometry and bend them a twist them a bit, so it looks like it has more volume rather than looking flat.

Hope that helps :)
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    First thing that sticks out to me is that it looks like a bunch of grass beards hanging off of the tree. Most species of weeping tree found in real life actually grow their branches upward off of the main branch. They droop down after that.
    Like this

• SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fideorubio @Skinner3D Thanks for the input yall! I agree with both of you. I think I need to re-work my branch texture. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    What reference are you using? Weeping trees have a cascading umbrella silhouette for the most part. I think you should start over again and take it slow. Try and replicate a real tree as best as you can;

Download lots of references.

Study how the branches form. How tick are the branches at different lengths? Where to the branches become twigs and turn into the leaves? Draw over images of a tree and pre-plan what you're going to do. Right now your branches look like cylinders that randomly branch out, and in random directions.

What is the shape of the groups of twigs/leaves? How are you going to create these using leaf cards? The leaves look like flat planes right now, and a lot of them aren't even coming off the branch, they're just placed in the air and happen to be touching a branch.

The bark texture doesn't match that of a weeping tree, and looks shiny and wet.

When people first make trees, they tend to ignore the roots and base of the trunk. I know I did. Honestly, unless you're short on time, it's a great idea to sculpt a tree to really understand the complexity of its form. The base of the tree isn't just going to be a cylinder.

Keep at it my dude, and good luck :)
  • SameerAzimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis I totally agree about restarting. I'm using the reference that Skinner3D put up. I did rush it to get it done fast and the texture for the branch cards aren't even weeping willows. Anyhow, I appreciate your thorough response and I will take in as much as I can, but I am a little pressed for time because I am working on 2 art challenges. I will post an update as soon as I can!