Home Technical Talk

Surface roughness images ?

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
Where can I find images of a huge list of surface rougheness typically created by Surface Profilometers; I don't care how they look as long as they represent the physically accurate roughness of the surface in an image; obviously they can't look pixelated :neutral:

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'm not aware of any.  

If you're looking at this for realtime work you're pretty much wasting your time anyway I think.
    the representation of microsurfaces in most shaders is pretty primitive ( it's basically just random(ish) scattering, the amount of which is determined by how bright the pixel in your roughness map is.)  so even given the information you'll need to look at a shading model that can support it

• CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Not for realtime work. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even for rendering work (and we do a ton of photorealistic rendering here) it's still just guesswork in the end.

There are tools that scan roughness accurately. But each renderer uses different value ranges.

So it's in the end up to the artist to develop basic guidelines via experience.

Basically, you take a grungemap (tons of good grunge libraries around) with a pattern that matches your intended surface type (glass is different from brick) and you mix it with feature-specific details (edge wear, accumulation, water damage, etc..) then tweak relative strengths of each map until it looks good in your current lighting context.

That's it. Rinse and repeat.

We have some info here that might help
     https://tech.wayfair.com/wayfair-3d-university/knowledgebase/what-is-a-v-ray-material-made-of/
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.chaosgroup.com/vrscans
    They have a lot of carefully calibrated scan data, matched with accurate shading models. 

You could in theory use Render To Texture (3ds Max) or Transfer Attributes (Maya) to extract the roughness.

But then you're converting it to a format that no longer has the correct context.

Besides, it's expensive, and highly specific.