Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Edo-Japanese Scoped Long Rifle [ArtStation Challenge] (2D/3D)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
htannerhartman polycounter lvl 5
This was my initial concept I had for ArtStation Challenge. I am entering the 3D category and wanted to create my own concept. I had an idea of the 3 props I had to make being able to connect. So I started out with this design; An arquebus matchlock pistol, a cane sword that doubled as an extended barrel and rifle rest, and a medallion with a hidden spyglass that acted as a red-dot sight. 

After getting the form the way I wanted from the grey scale, I began fleshing out the different parts of the transforming rifle. I began with the cane sword and had an idea of the sheath having a dragon spiraling down ending with a metal dragon head that also worked as a flash suppressor of sorts. I began receiving critiques of spicing it up a bit. So i added the traditional Katana grip and wrapping. But this began falling away from my idea of the wielder of this weapon. I had pictured an aloof assassin, and this was obviously not an inconspicuous cane sword. It really wasn't even a cane sword anymore.

Going back to the drawing bored, I decided to become inspired by the Zatoichi sword. Had a much more simple and hidden design and was more accurately described as a cane sword. Liking where the design was going, i decided to flesh out the pommel a bit more and was trying to figure out how the rifle rest would work practically. After exploring different ideas and receiving additional critiques, I realized that breaking the silhouette and form of the arquebus to accommodate the rifle rest was feeling too forced.

Going back to my original block out drawings and doing some additional research I found an alternative design that I was much more happy with. I kept the transforming long rifle idea but disposed of the gun rest and medallion red-dot sight. Instead I opted for a more traditional, and historically accurate, papier-mache telescope. The telescope really brought a more tactical and rifle feeling to the design that I was very excited about.

Following the steps that preceded, I began fleshing out the cane sword once again. This time I focused on going much more traditional and naturalistic. I found some references on bamboo cane swords and carved bamboo canes. One reference in-particular featured wrapped tassels that immediately caught my eye and really screamed "traveler" to me. 

Getting to this point I decided to ask for additional critiques. Thanks to the guys in 3DFT, who gave some pretty insightful critique, advised me to design the piece together first; if they don't look like they go together, the whole thing falls apart. So that's exactly what I did. In the critique, they thought the bamboo sword stuck out the most and also thought an ivory matchlock would look really nice. So I went with the ivory matchlock and paired it with the yellow bamboo cane. I didn't quite like how the yellow was playing with the ivory so I went with a black bamboo cane. The black and white gave a very refined look to it, so i played off that fact. I was calling it a "simple elegance" since none of these objects were spectacularly ornamented, just enough to make it interesting. After photo-bashing an arquebus matchlock I found online, I began ornamenting it with the imperial seal. I evolved the story to be an imperial assassin, contracted to travel for the emperor on any foreign assassinations. I recreated the scope from a reference I found online and liked the pop of red that was on the scope housing. So I decided to incorporate red as a focal point to guide your eye through the piece. It is not depicted in the concept below, but the final model will include burning red twine that will help bridge the eye between the red tassel and red twine on the telescope. 

After finalizing the design of the transformed rifle, I began on making orthographic breakdowns of the individual props. Once again, starting with the cane sword. 

Moving on to the Telescope. I had to figure out how to attach the telescope onto the cane sword. I began researching different clips and found a terry clip. Though not historically accurate, I believed it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that an artisan would be able to create this. Additionally, I wanted to have a cross hair, so I came up with a simple solution...create a cap with a cross-hair. Rediculous I know, but I thought that to be the only reasonable solution. The user would, however, be able to take the cap on and off at their discretion and still hide it within the ornamental cap of the telescope. Gold leaf designs were recreated from the reference image.

Finally, the arquebus matchlock pistol. This was fairly easy as I already had high quality images of an arquebus from different angles. Just had to photo-bash the different elements together. 

Overall I feel like this was a very successful design and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm very excited to get modeling! Thanks again to the people in 3DFT for the help and awesome critique!