Home Technical Talk

Question about "ProBoolean Destroyed my Mesh ^^"

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
sknueppel polycounter lvl 7
Good Morning Everyone,
I ve never realy worked with proboolean yet, but wantzed to give it a try, after seeing some Videos of Arrimus and Simon Fuchs.
I worked on a Mesh that has been subdivided with the two Turbosmooth technic and everytime I try to Bool it with Proo boolean it destroys my entire "Geo".
I ve checked it with a STL Check, without any errors and it is not Fliped aswell, maybe it is a realy easy issue, so I thought I should just Ask here, Thank you in advance!

All the best ^^
As you can see, all the Edgeloops are "Destroyed"?!

Replies

• Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Switch to No Edge Removal in Advanced.
  • sknueppel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANK YOU SO MUCH....... ;) that was "Easy".
    Now i ll gonna look why the heck this is on not the default?!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because it is actually useful when you are boolean'ing lower poly meshes that aren't so heavily subdivided with so many extra coplanar edges. That's what it is trying to do, clean up the nightmare coplanar edges that bools usually inflict on people. Unfortunately it doesn't know the difference between your intended coplanar edges and the ones it inflicted upon your object. it would be sweet if it was smarter...

Cleaning up after bools, before proBooleans came around, was a nightmare, you would get a bunch of verts inbetween faces where they met and it created a lot of coplanar edges. When the removal tool works, it saves you a LOT of time.

Usually you bool your low poly cage before subdivision not after/during.

You probably want to back up a step, remove the subdivisions and bool the lower resolution cage, clean up the results and then set up the double turbosmooth workflow again.
  • sknueppel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mark, thank you, for your explanation.
    I ll gonna make some tests to realy get how it is working, but all you ve said helped me a lot.
    In 7 years I realy tried to avoid to bool meshes, but more because of uncertainty than anything else.
    So... lets dive into it ^^

I still have the lowpoly geo, it was just a test to see how big my bool-shapes should be to support the feeling for the Size of my Object.
    Thank you for the advice ^^