Home Career & Education

Need Mentor help and advice for School assistance

DrekRok
null
Offline / Send Message
DrekRok null
Hello, My name is David Roberts, and I'm seeking some help and advice from a mentor. Anyone who may be interested in helping a fledgling modeler, I would greatly appreciate some help. 
Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help, and also thank you for anyone with just simple helpful advice.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Aside from the wealth of material on this board alone, are you able to share results from your research thus far to better gage your situation. 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    It will really help if you a bit more specific like what do you need help for modeling in general or specific object/task , what is your experience level [I just started , I have model for a while and know basics] ,what software are you using and so on
  • DrekRok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrekRok null
    It will really help if you a bit more specific like what do you need help for modeling in general or specific object/task , what is your experience level [I just started , I have model for a while and know basics] ,what software are you using and so on

As for specifics, I've got a fairly basic knowledge mostly learned from my college classes from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh online division, and from youtube tutorials. I'm currently getting more practice with Maya using Maya LT, what I can currently afford, but it's my understanding that it's basically Maya with out some of the more hardcore features. 

My current course is requesting that I reach out and try to find a mentor of some capacity to try and learn from and work with. I found Polycount forum from doing a basic google search for modeling tutorials and advice and from a basic browsing thus far in the last few weeks I've learned a lot from the posting and articles I've simply read with out actual interaction of my own and I decided it was time I posted and simply asked. 

sacboi said:
    Aside from the wealth of material on this board alone, are you able to share results from your research thus far to better gage your situation. 

My research consists mostly what I can gather from the vast interwebs, which has brought me to this forum and browsing through tutorials and inspiration on Art Station. I'm currently doing reference research on forges and black smith shops to create a stylized (read cartoon like) Dwarven black smith. I've got an anvil modeled up that I'm not too sure of the results at the moment and want to get some surface texturing done to it but I'm not quite sure how to move it from Maya to Substance or Zbrush Core. 

Thank you both for the response to my post, it is greatly appreciated. 

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Ah I see, well for starters these might be useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkcb8GZP6zQ

Also I'm only scratching the surface (...pun intended) myself, having recently began testing this popular surfacing workflow however too a limited extent due to an outdated primary workstation that essentially lacks the processing resources to fully leverage their combined feature sets, although my core modeling app is Blender so basically until money and time allows for a total new build I'm afraid any advice I think could be helpful, most probably at the end of the day would prove nominal at best. 

Now since my speciality is as a self taught Hard Surface (mechanical) subd modeller for well over a decade learning the discipline, I've relied upon 'old school' techniques i.e. hand painting via image editors to apply relevant texture details which at the moment the results are still less than favourable though hopefully I believe through perseverance and sheer will power may yet eventually yield polished outcomes.

Anyway for what it's worth, seasoned artist or pro authored material on the Net alongside communities such as PC are in my opinion an excellent source for an on call 'Mentoring Service' :-)

• DrekRok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrekRok null
    Thank you for the link and the advice here. I've determined that I've come to the right place overall to read through the forums to learn and get great advice. 
    ^_^
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you want a mentor, feel free to email me.  Helping a couple people already.
  • DrekRok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrekRok null
    If you want a mentor, feel free to email me.  Helping a couple people already.
    Thank you for the offer, I've just sent off an e-mail to you.
    -DR