Home Technical Talk

Occlusion in diffuse

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
What is meant by that Albedo must be pure color and must not contain any occlusion as was the case with diffuse maps ? I've read on how PBR works and so forth, as someone who was accustomed to painting diffuse maps, I never included any occlusion, for example; I assume, occlusion painted in a diffuse for a human eye, is what is referred to as occlusion ?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambient occlusion is a separate texture in PBR. Often packed with 2 other greyscale textures into a single RGB texture (saves memory).

AO should only mask ambient lighting, not direct lighting.

For example if you put AO into the 
    albedo texture for your characters mouth, then what happens when you shine a flashlight in there? It's just black. Not great.

Albedo as pure color allows the lighting to be more realistic. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    To add nothing new but say it in a different way :

Sometimes the names of things can make shit confusing as hell, but in this case, the function is defined precisely in the name. 

Ambient (referring to games lighting) = An ambient light source represents an omni-directional, fixed-intensity and fixed-color light source that affects all objects in the scene equally. (from wikipedia) 

Occlude = 
    stop, close up, or obstruct.

So ambient occlusion is saying how much of the ambient light you are going to block. Since video games can't compute lighting with the complexities of real life factors, you have to use simplifications like this to achieve a more realistic look. Ambient lighting is the simplification, and ambient occlusion mapping fills in *some of* the unrealistic gaps ambient lighting creates. You bend your elbow, in real life not all of the light bouncing around the room is going to get into that crease, so it's a little darker, right? Video games don't yet have that full simulation, so we use ambient occlusion map to just fake it in places we know should be a little darker. And obviously, as mentioned, a direct light source overules the ambient occlusion, as you'd expect.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well  you can still multiply or overlay your AO on your diffuse map in photoshop. If you are not using PBR, have no SSAO, if you are "hand painting" your textures, if you're using AO as dirt, so on...
    It's not the most realistic way, but you can't always afford it, or want it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIGTIMEMASTER said:
    Ambient (referring to games lighting) = An ambient light source represents an omni-directional, fixed-intensity and fixed-color light source that affects all objects in the scene equally. (from wikipedia) 
    Well, ambient lighting in PBR is almost never a single ambient color. That's an old outdated method, it looks very flat, unconvincing as lighting. Try it and see!

Anyone who's a "big time master" should know this haha. Sorry, your nick in caps always cracks me up.

I think most PBR renderers use IBL for ambient, whether a single cubemap (Marmoset) or else a bunch of tiny cubemaps as "light probes" to get a kind of localized bounce lighting across your whole game level.

All these "soft" indirect lighting sources should be occluded in recessed parts of the model. Down in between the couch cushions, etc.

But the occlusion map shouldn't affect any "direct" lights. The sun, a streetlamp,  the flashlight, etc. 

I assume, occlusion painted in a diffuse for a human eye, is what is referred to as occlusion ?

When you're talking about eyes, I think occlusion is when the retina gets cloudy or milky, through disease or injury. Not the same kind of occlusion we refer to in games.

A creative sheep, harhar, wotsit. Poopipe, poopinmymouth, now THOSE are proper nicks. Always go for the poop jokes.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    When you're talking about eyes, I think occlusion is when the retina gets cloudy or milky, through disease or injury. Not the same kind of occlusion we refer to in games.
    I know they are two different things :smile:
    A creative sheep, harhar, wotsit. Poopipe, poopinmymouth, now THOSE are proper nicks. Always go for the poop jokes.
    I don't follow, except near the end; then again maybe I did get it :neutral:  
    I believe I understand, it was the quote I read regarding occlusion in diffuse which I thought, I never used occlusion in my diffuse maps ! :neutral:

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Ah, thanks for the clarification @Eric Chadwick. I only have a rudimentary understanding of game lighting, I suppose. Now I know a little more. 

I've used this screen name since I was a teenager playing xbox live. Sometimes I wonder if I should update to something more professional, but, as mentioned, there is guys calling themselves "poopinmymouth" (which I can't even type without cracking up) so, I'm probably good.