Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Neo-Samurai (Cyberpunk)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SaltSeaCake polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys!

Been working on this guy lately for a personal project every after work. Started this I think last August, as far as I can remember. Then there's the Artstation challenge that has been announced, had a little similarity of theme to what I am working, will be forced to postpone this project for a bit if I'm not able to finish it before artstation challenge starts. Also, finally had the courage to post some progress on polycount, so this will be my first post  :) Enuf chitchat! So here it is. My goal was to create a Real-Time Character, a Neo-Samurai in the age of Cyberpunk.
Decided to polypaint so I can see a little bit of a preview to the final design.
A closeup to the model. Maybe I'll put more details like dents, scratches, slashes, etc. when I'm about to texture this on Substance Painter.

Idk if he looks weird in a converse or it's alright LOL. Also gonna add stitches on Painter

Here's some closeups to the head. I used the textures from XYZ textures, projected it using mari then cleaned up some details back again at Zbrush.

Maybe I'll grab this polypaint to use in the diffuse. 
His weapon's gonna be a Katana, also gonna put a Daisho as his secondary weap.

Also this is what my Pureref looks like, messy...Would be appreciate it for comments and critiques before I can continue. I'm honestly not good with concepts so would appreciate a lot for a feedback! Thanks and have a great day! 

Replies

• Nandx
    Offline / Send Message
    Nandx polycounter lvl 6
    I think the lower half of the design is boring, it's just a pair of trousers and sneakers. You could try to add some scifi elements or traditional samurai armor parts to those.

Also he feels too short for me, maybe reduce the head size or check the proportions, unless that's what's you are going for.
  • SaltSeaCake
    Offline / Send Message
    SaltSeaCake polycounter lvl 2
    @Nandx Thanks for the feedback! Been thinking a lot about the lower part seems odd for the design, might add something more functional for him as a samurai. Now that you've mention it about the proportion, I'll try checking it again. Thanks again! I Appreciate the feedback
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I don't get how this design speaks to this guy being an ex-police officer, unless you're thinkiing of a more anime/comic book inspired turn of changes.  JUst seems like an underarmored samurai wannabe.
  • Sputch
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Some really nice sculpting here, but yeah, the head size is killing it for me. Looks like he's 5 feet tall. Also, eyes to head ratio have a similar effect. I'd go smaller with eyes as well. Legs might be a touch short too. You can err on the side of too long with legs and get away with it much better than with short. Nice work!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    There are a couple of things that are bothering me. The waist sash looks like it was just quickly simulated and then called done, cloth doesn't really sit around the waist like that. Normally it's some sore of wrap or sash, even if it's meant to be a looser cloth, it would have the X wrinkles from being around a tube shaped object. The rope also looks like it's not properly bound and is about to unravel, I would probably re-work it as they way you have it now will also be a lot of retopo work and difficult to get looking right in a low poly. Here is some reference to help you out:

• Kapetong011
    Love your design. Just wanna ask how did you do the katana shank part. To be more specific, those knots. I've been trying to achieve the same result as the one you posted in Marvelous, but it seems like impossible to tie those knots by hand. If you can give me some hints that would be awesome.
    Cheers :)