Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Starting Beginner Concept Artist Advice/feedback - *Answered

Thank you polycount, and member(s) who've contributed. I feel my request was answered.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    So you are not using photobashing but your own drawing and bash them together is that correct ?
    I can see you have spend a lot of time drawing and that good but currently I think only few of your work that will be worth staying in your portfolio
    I strongly suggest you learn prospective there are a lot of prospective mistake that pretty much ruin your work , also try to break symmetry and use less repetitive shapes or learn to use them in a cleaver way
    Other thing that you should work on is controlling amount of details , you have works that are visually noisy and hard to understand [City 8099] , which lead me to the next thing if you are going to be concept artist your designs have to be clear and easy to recognize for example your Centurion Hub its something but I have no idea what and if you have to explain to me what it is you have failed
  • BrandonFleuryDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so work on clarity, break repetition, and symmetry. And perhaps simplify so things aren't too distracting.  Perspective, i use the simple horizon and use the vanishing line grid type setup so figure i should just emphasis using it for everything that is hard surfaced and man made.
  • BrandonFleuryDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and variety too
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes , you could also work on point of interest and how to lead viewers eye on your picture which is part of story telling , also most of your work require at least one or two more passes to unify and blends shapes together so they don't have this cutout look
    If you have extra 20 bucks I suggest you subscribe for a month or 2 for Barnstone studios
  • BrandonFleuryDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, yeah i'm kinda noticing the "cutoutness" of my work. i do want it to look more seamless and cohesive. would say i should paint edges and make it seem together. any gumroad or tutorials you recommend?  I'm assuming Barnstone is a concept or design related studio offering tutorials.  I'll look into for sure. If you know any gumroad tutorials, please let me know!  thanks for the help , i don't believe i thanked you.  This is helpign out alot, to relook at my work and see what can be improved.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can think of this one : https://gumroad.com/brainstormschool [Foundation] but you should ask in education section of this forum for other helpful tutorials , also dont forget to check wiki dedicated to this subject : http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Category:Discipline

• BrandonFleuryDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and last question, my mom is so uncertain about what to do and i know you've helped me with the additional resources and critiques.  In your honest opinion do you think i need to start COMPLETELY over , like complete overhaul to fundamentals or just refine with the level I'm currently at. She has no idea what concept art is and keeps thinking i need to go back to learn everything. I know i'n not that ineffective, i think i'm somewhere in the 60-80 range and need to get to the 100 percent. 

Do you think it is possible to get to the 100 with additional training on my own , since i've gotten this far in a year and half, or should i just go to a concept school and startover??  I think i just need to work on refinement stuff, not really ground-level as much.
  • BrandonFleuryDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not to say going to a concept school and starting over wouldn't be beneficial cause it would be, but with costs, and the amount of discipline i try to maintain now i think i can get there on my own.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will quote Glenn Vilppu about the fundamentals "Basics are the advance " meaning if you master basics[fundamentals] you know more then you think you know , so don't think of basics as something unimportant[I will repeat again learning basics is not a waste of time but long time investment] they are your tools and bricks that you are going to use to build everything you will ever work on
    Of course you don't have to relearn everything from scratch just add what you don't know but be sure your really know your stuff not just kind of know it
    There are a lot of artist that are self taught [me included] so if they can you can too
    If you know how to study on your own already and want to invest in yourself, spend on books, tutorials and mentor
  • BrandonFleuryDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i definitely agree with you and anyone who stresses fundamentals, like holy crap they are like the bread, butter, and knife.  I'm constantly wanting to improve, and improve some more, sometimes i've gotten stubborn , i'm like i'm good enough but no, you can be further ahead than where you are. I always have to remind myself that after a while of progressing,, refine, refine and refine some more.  I'm gonna do a month or so of refresher courses on perspective, other fundamentals and really apply the knowledge properly.

Thanks for all the help.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a bummer you edited away your OP. Whole thread destroyed, zero continuity. Hate that shit.

It's a bit of a "fuck you" to the time people put into giving you feedback. Because now all they gave to you is lacking context, hard to decipher.

That's sad. Threads benefit others seeking advice about how to learn and grow. But you put a knife in that back.