Home Technical Talk

[MAYA-ANIMATION-RIGGING] Mechanical- "Tentacle" -Hair Animation | Advice needed!

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pryor_MartinHuetter polycounter lvl 2

DISCLAIMER: I know this is a pretty long post and a complex special case. I don't expect that anyone just magically solves all the problems,
I'll just need some advice with 3 main questions described futher down. Just to get an idea whats going on, here some more pictures:

After testing some poses with this concept I got to the conclusion that more hair is a lot more appealing and needs more focus.

And a lot more focus on Animations (these are all just tests what should be possible):

(surface animatons)

3 main strands within itself containing 3 individual strands, making up 3x3=9 in total.

At the end of each strand should also be a mechanical eye placed, so they should also be able to move like they watch something (aim and so on)

So the main 3 questions I have are:

1 ► Has anyone some experience how it's like to animate tentacle-like stuff on a high quality cinematic level?
- animation should on one end be very strange like floating around it's back in a zero-gravity-fashion but on the other hand should follow it's motions quite believable and "heavy", cause this guy's about 10-15 meters (30-50 feet) tall.

2 ► Has anyone some experience with rigging tentacle-like stuff on a high quality cinematic level?
- some advice like: simple FK works just fine or IK-splines are troublesome? I've tested some different techniques and I've some prior knowledge to this topic but yesterday I stopped experimenting because I got off-rails and couldn't really find a solution for multiple problems without diving heavy into MEL and python (I'm very bad at this stuff). So I decided to get some help.

3 ► Can anyone suggest me some other forums or recommend me some good reference for this special case?
- I realised I really don't know that many active CG communities online. CGsociety won't let me create an account for some reason and further from that I dont know any other forum where I can post something about animation and rigging. (?)
Does anyone know a movie scene, game-model/character/cutscene or maybe even know of a -making of- documentation for something like this this?

Once this one is finished I'll probably give it away for a very low price or even free without textures for interested animators to play around and for riggers to deconstruct and reverse engineer.

Thank you very much for every reply! :)
Martin Hütter

Replies