Home Technical Talk

Blender export import obj problem.

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
kanga quad damage
Blender 2.79b
Win 10
Am trying to bake hair planes in xnormal but getting endless errors so decided to check the exported meshes. Export wavefront obj and then reimport. Nada. Cant see a thing. The model is in the correct layer and present in the outliner. Pressing Del zooms into the origin but nothing visible and nothing to scale up. Export selected active. Tried it with a simple model and complex one. Nothing. Attached a cube, deleted it, export reimported still nothing. Any ideas welcome.

lender export

Blender import

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Why dont you upload your model and post a link , I can run same operations and let you know if I got same result
    Its hard to troubleshoot something like that without the model
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Why dont you upload your model and post a link , I can run same operations and let you know if I got same result
    Its hard to troubleshoot something like that without the model

That is very kind. Thanks for the help. Here is the file.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuront8n7g1dnrb/export_test.blend?dl=0

Cheers
  • Zeist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeist polycounter lvl 8
    Had this happen randomly in the past once or twice and could never figure out what caused it. Exporting .obj would work provided that 'selection only' is disabled otherwise it'd just export a 90 byte file.

Easiest way to fix it was to just append the entire scene into a new Blend file and work from there - it'll allow you to export correctly using 'selection only' option.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Ok I run few simple tests and found out that for some reason export selected only in your scene is not working , export all is working tho :) So simple solution is to Ctrl+C all geo and open and new scene[File->New] and Ctrl + V and all work again :)
    I have same thing happen with different tools in maya million times
    If you still got N gone error simple triangulate while exporting that solve it for me
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @ Zeist & cavuliero: Thanks for the advice. It worked! Everything imported correctly in the new blend file just fine. Thanks for the advice on the N-poles cavuliero.

Cheerio