Home Career & Education

How to learn environment design?

What are the foundations of this area that I need to study? For instance, if I wanted to be a character artist, aside from the necessary skills in anatomy and figure drawing i'd need, to design anything well I'd study costume design by going to amazon and grabbing a well regarded book on the subject. So what I'm asking is whats the equivalent design foundation for environments? If you've got any book recommendations I'd appreciate them. So far, my searches have lead me to Architecture, Environmental Design(though I can't find any good books that I believe would serve my needs for this one), and Production Design. So far I'm thinking production design is the closest thing, but I just want to be sure before I dive into a rabbit hole that I have no business being in :D 

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Not sure why would you want to dive in Production design , Interior design maybe
    To your list you can add all type of prospective and golden section . I been told that Francis D. K. Ching books on architecture are very good : for example this one -> Architecture: Form, Space, and Order
  • reasonablepenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure why would you want to dive in Production design , Interior design maybe
    To your list you can add all type of prospective and golden section . I been told that Francis D. K. Ching books on architecture are very good : for example this one -> Architecture: Form, Space, and Order
    I've had my eye on form space order as the main source for learning architecture. My reasoning for production/set design is that i figured it is the traditional version of digital environment art. Is that not the case? 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    My understanding of Production design is as a global term that encapsulate all of the visual story telling elements in a movie/theater -> locations or scene design , set dressing , costume design, props ...

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do plen air paintings, as a suggestion.

Or still life paintings or drawings.

With the intention that this will help you focus on composition, lighting, value, color theory, etc.