Home Technical Talk

Can You Recommend an Affordable Pen Display?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Lifelover polycounter lvl 9

Hi guys, I've been a Wacom user relatively long time, having currently Cintiq 13" HD at disposal. However, I'm looking for an upgrade to a wider screen but I've got a limited budget. In other words, definitely not as much as a Cintiq 22" HD or higher.

Anyway, I've seen that there are substitutes that cost significantly less with screens that range from 19" to 21". Some of those have allegedly received very positive feedback, such as UGEE UG2150 21.5 Inch IPS or Huion KAMVAS GT-191, which seem to rival Wacom as to pen pressure.

However, I cannot dismiss the fact that the above mentioned pen displays are under 1000$ and for what they claim to offer, it sounds to me a bit too much. In this sense, I really need somebody who's got experience with low/mid-range price pen displays to point me, which one is really worth to invest cash into. You are more than welcome to recommend other makes that have not been listed here. :)

Replies

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    i had a huion gt 190 w (an old one now) it was an "ok" display.
    It kind of sucked that the pen has to be rechared. The angle in which the color seems correct was so narrow, when i slightly tilted the head the colors looked complete wrong!
    The good things was:
    came with 6! pen nibs, and i NEVER needed to switch the orig. one ( not like by intuos pro 2 :/ )
    I finaly gave up working with it because of the pain in the back/neck.

So in the end i cant give you a good advice, but i hope to help you with my expirience in a huion product.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Monoprice do a 22HD  that doesn't need pen recharging, can use wacom nibs and has survived 3 years in my house. 

It's not wacom build quality, the drivers can be a bit wanky and the supplied USB cable is so shit it often stops the digitiser working.. 
    But,... I've seen them for under £400 at times and £1200 saved makes up for a lot of driver hiccups.. 
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Most, if not all of the newer pen displays have an IPS panel, which means much better viewing angles. In general, the wacom alternatives have improved quality quite a bit over the last few years, perhaps to the point where the only real difference is the special etched glass that wacom uses. Check out this guys reviews on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClozNP-QPyVatzpGKC25s0A
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The alternatives all generally have various driver issues, at the very least. My Huion Kamvas GT-191 in particular basically just does not work with 3D apps. ZBrush lags and skips, Painter can't use the side buttons at all, Maya has no pressure sensitivity, etc.
    The colors aren't great, either. The saturation on mine is off. The parallax also gets completely #$!%ed if you tilt the stylus.
    Many people who review them do only 2D work, so it seems fine to them. But if you're doing game dev, you need a Cintiq.
    I'd trade my shitty 19in Huion for a 13in Cintiq any day.