Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter UV Problem

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
The problem seems quite stupid, but i dont know how to solve this problem.

This i s a simple mesh build upon 4 vertices,
it was a quad, i created the uv,
i moved the upper verts in to get the shape below and kept the uv (by intention):

In substance painter when i import the fbx and added a simple material,
we can see the mesh is triangulated, and so the material seems wrong placed and disorted:

I want to achiev that the texture flows in this direction:

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Triangulate your model in your 3d app first. (save out quad version first, in case you need to edit topo later.) If you want to keep the UV's a perfect square, there will be some amount of distortion. Judgement call whether you can live with it or not. 

Not a stupid question, and this is a great exercise to help see how UV's and textures work in a visual way.

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Triangulate your model in your 3d app first. (save out quad version first, in case you need to edit topo later.) If you want to keep the UV's a perfect square, there will be some amount of distortion. Judgement call whether you can live with it or not. 

Not a stupid question, and this is a great exercise to help see how UV's and textures work in a visual way.

actually i tried with a triangulated mesh via "maya triangulate" and export it. the mesh looks same like in SP. but the result is the same as the "quad one"
    I actually was pursuing this kind of disortion of texture as shown in the 4th image :/
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'm not sure then. You may need to unfold your UV's and then align them back to a square postion. Hopefully an enviro artist can help you. AFAIK trying to adjust your UV's to get a specific amount of distortion is probably an inefficient method -- probably better to work with the texture itself. Try taking into photoshop and applying some distortion filter or using free transform to squash the texture on the one side or something. I don't believe you can do anything like this in Substance, but I coujld be wrong.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm okay, i try this basicly to create a hair card, and the disorted mesh shold "fake" a hair strand, the texture are just "straight hairs".
    i tried to follow this tutorial as good i can

https://youtu.be/6xBMcnx2Kkk
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    This is 100% expected behaviour. In simple terms, You’ve fixed a bunch of pixels on a texture to two triangles in absolute positions within them, and then changed the shape of those two triangles. The pixels won’t shift themselves off their assigned positions to suit your imagination. Hence the distortion.

The only way to “improve” your current method is to subdivide the polygon vertically several times, but all you can hope to do that way is lessen the distortion to a point where it’s no longer an issue, it would be impossible to remove it entirely. 

For no distortion, paint the texture you want 1-1 to its intended shape 
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i was try to achieve is in the video at 00:35
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Yeah, more subdivisions = less visual distortion