Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barret - FF7 Fan Art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys! I started this project a little over two years ago, just nipping little chunks out of it at a time. Recently I decided to just go ahead and finish it off and I'm relieved to finally call it done... although there are a couple things I would do/wish I had done differently as always.

My goal with this project was to try and match the original Barret illustration as closely as I reasonably could. I was a little disappointed when the new Barret design for the FF7 remake was shown and he had lost so much of his original character. So some things, like the folds in the pants, are a little funky in an attempt at matching the illustration.

High res done in Zbrush/3DS Max, low res done in 3DCoat/3DS Max, textures done with Substance Painter/Photoshop, and renders in Marmoset/Keyshot.

First time using substance painter with this project, so I wasn't too concerned on being super efficient with the polycount/texture sizes. I mostly just wanted something to texture on and learn painter some. The final triangle count came out a little over 40k and I used three 4k textures. Splitting things up into skin, cloth, and metals. A bit overkill on the texture size, but I'm ok with that for this project.

Couple more images on my ArtStation.
Thanks for checking it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5cSTJj7mhA

Replies