Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

3D Artists/Concept Artist wanted for ambitious sci-fi short film.

Corda1983
null

Hi Guys,

I’ve developed a short film script (10 minutes approx.) and am now looking for some 3D Artists (and a concept artist) to help me realise the vision and make a high quality short film. The project is titled ‘The Archaeologist’ and is a sci-fi film about a robot in the far future who comes across a human being, a now nearly extinct species, on a faraway moon, and the relationship they form as the robot studies the essence of humanity. I’m really happy with the script and, after working in the film and TV industry for years as a composer and sound designer, feel confident I can make a high end product that sounds great and, with the help of a good team, looks great too!

This will be a live action film with 3D shots - but the live action and 3D elements are separate (so no complicated merging of live action and 3D). The 3D shots have been designed so there’s likely to be very little animation; no complicated 3D character or movements. Most of the 3D elements are exterior space shots, a robot habitat, planet landscapes and one short sequence of a spaceship entering the atmosphere of an earth-like moon. There is one short sequence that might require some more detailed animation, but this is open to revision based on how things come together. I’m anticipating the need for somewhere between 25-35 3D shots, but many of these will be relatively straightforward - starscapes, planets etc. with likely only a few assets.

Because much of the film is a kind of montage with voiceover, the 3D shots will tend to be “individual” in nature - showing disparate locations, rather than complex sequences which require heavily reused assets from scene to scene. To that extent, I’m hoping to involve a few 3D artists and spread the workload of individual shots, so as not to take up too much time or energy from those who may be interested in lending their time to the project. I don’t have an absolute deadline for the project but hoping to wrap it up around May/early June next year - so if there was interest in getting involved there’s plenty of time to get shots created and no strict deadlines to hit imminently. I obviously appreciate what I’m asking for, so am ideally trying to make the project as fun, collaborative and flexible as possible!

We’ll be shooting the live action elements on a RED Helium camera with anamorphic lenses, with a team of professionals I’ve worked with in the past who are volunteering their time. I’ll also be using my contacts and own resources to give the film a proper grade and create a 5.1 mix of the film with high end sound and music; so I’m really hopeful this will be a highly cinematic film.

There will be no pay, sadly, as this is a personal project without financial backing - which I think it’s obviously worth being upfront about. I will put in place contracts with everybody who helps out and there will be a profit participation clause in them, but as you probably all know the chance of a short film generating money are slim, so it would almost certainly be a project to get involved in because you feel excited about the concept and end result rather than for any other reason! I will be using some of my own funds to give the film a proper release and hopefully put it on the festival circuit, aiming to try and get it into some higher end festivals.

If anybody has any questions or is interested in getting involved, let me know and I’ll give any further information either in this thread or privately. Ideally I’ll need:

• A concept artist(s) to help design the look of the lead robot character (which will eventually be a live action costume). I have a fair idea of how I want the character to look based partly on aesthetics and partly on the limitations of creating a live action robot character that will look high quality. There will also be a single alien spaceship to conceptualise.

• 3D Artists to help with the necessary 3D shots. Experience/interest in the following things would be ideal:

• Space shots (planets, starfields, nebulas, stars etc.)
  • Alien landscapes/civilisations (some wide angle shots of alien landscapes, robot cities etc.)
  • There will be a shot of a Dyson Sphere that is the robot civilisation’s home; I’ve been imagining something inspired by Mandelbulbs and fractals for this.
  • A short sequence of several shots of a robot spaceship heading towards a habitable moon and descending into the atmosphere.
  • Possible short sequence of a robot being constructed - this would be mostly in darkness/dim lighting, so quite stylised and minimal in terms of its presentation, but may require some animation of a robot arm(s).

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to try and get all the main details in! As I say, any interest/questions feel free to get in touch either in the thread or privately. Thanks all for your time and I’m really hoping there’s some interest, as I would love to make a great sci-fi short and find some great collaborators to do something truly interesting.