Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wolfman

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jutunis polycounter lvl 8
We at it again!
Working on a Wolfman-fighter-warrior-thing. My first major male project and I'm learning a ton!

Any comments and Critics would be most welcome!

Current Progress:
FINISHED!
Check out more Here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0Xa1mE

Replies

• Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more WIP screenshots of the first session of sculpting.
    Liking where the volumes are heading, but the anatomy could definitely use more work.
    Sketch isn't the final design just a starting point. I like to do most of my designing as I move forward.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Abs are reading far too clean and cloned.  Are you also looking at OTHER anatomy references?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Cool stuff. I like animal/human mashups a lot so I'll keep an eye on this. It looks like you are still blocking things out, so probably no use digging to deep with any critiques. 

I would suggest considering a refinement of some of your larger muscles, specifically the arms. Overblown muscles are cool, of course, but if things like the biceps and forearms are too spherical, I feel like they just read as fat. I'd look a little closer into the way big hulking bodybuilder bicpes and forearms read from all angles -- you'll notice there is a lot of subtlety to the shapes of the muscles, and if you take that extra time to tune them, you'll get the massive muscles look but they'll also appear hard/chiseled. Key area's are where the muscles tie in the bones. 

Also, I agree with Brian. Ab's usually aren't perfectly symmetrical. Adding in some asymmetry will give a more realistic touch. 
  • Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Thanks! I went back and tuned up the abs a bit more. Hopefully they don't feel clone stamped. I'm planning to add even more asymmetry later down the line when I do later detail passes.I do use other references. As I find more I like to store them in my PureRef Sheet.

@BIGTIMEMASTER Thanks for the advice! I've been slowly tweaking the anatomy to give it more believable form. Still a lot of work to do but hopefully its a step in the right direction.

Refined anatomy a bit more. Starting to design and block out gear.

• Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress~~

• pistachio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pistachio sublime tool
    Would check the hips/obliques, kind of flat. I get if it's not polished, you'll just want to make sure you nail the bone structure underneath.
    Above this the abs (serratus) are looking still too square, should overlap more/stick together as forms over the ribcage (bone structure again) Maybe this is in a ref I'm not seeing?

Echoing @BIGTIMEMASTER there, bone structure and planes often boost each other so watch out for this thru your progress.

Not an expert at anatomy here, just two cents. So far polish is going real good.
  • Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pistachio Thanks for the feedback.I went back in and polished up the muscles some more. Hopefully some of the issues you brought up are looking a little better. Never too late to change things or fix problems that pop up!

Still trying to keep all your feedback in mind as I go through the progress

More progress, more sculpting, early flat color tests:

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is probably more a matter of style -- and thus totally subjective -- but I feel like your face looks a little mroe like a coyote than  a wolf. It has a sly, clever appearance, which seems a little at odds with the character the body has. The massive hulking body feels to me like it deserves a wider, more majestic looking face. 

It's all fluff, but the big poofy cheeks of the wolf gives him a proud appearance, and his eyes are a little more shrouded, which makes him seem more noble, and less ornery. Of course, if either of these guys curl up their cheeks and scrunch up their brows, they will look terrifying.

Male wolves, just like dogs, tend to have a lot more jowl and stouter snouts than females. Since your character is definitely in the high-t zone, I think maybe overdoing the big ass jowls may be something worth experimenting with. 

Coyote is left, wolf is right. 
    Image result for coyote vs wolf
    male wolf with a big ole face
    Image result for male siberian wolf

Just some thoughts. This is coming together nicely though.
  • Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER You bring up a good point, I'll definitely give his face some more tweaking; push it to be more consistent with the rest of the body.
  • Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some tweaks suggested above. Tried to fill out the face a bit more. Wider, fiercer. Pulled the snout back a tiny bit. Recolored some fur and pointed ears more vertically.

Thinking about pulling the base of his ears near the sides of his head out some more.

• Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very small, very subtle inner silhouette change, but if feels a lot better. Thoughts?

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is a more powerful looking face compared to before, which seems to fit better with the body and make for a more concentrated character.  I like how you changed the ears -- upright and tilted out a little like that feels stronger. 
  • Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

More work. Doing armor stuffs. Added his weapons.

• Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Set of progress! On to posing and presenting!

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Im not familiar with the style so take my comments with a ton of salt. The face looks kinda cute and with the dark eye surround, sort of female. The legs and raised ankle look like the knees need to be bent. The heel is raised like it should be but it makes the shin seem short. Keep it up!
  • Jutunis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga Thank you for the comment! It really helps to have an outside perspective. I did debated whether the dark lining around the eyes was hurting the overall feel of the face, but ultimately I decided to keep it in the design. 

Finally Finished up! Here are some shots! You can find more here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0Xa1mE