Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Feedback] Assasin Character Concept

Hi there,
This is my first post here, so here's also a little introduction. 
My name is Bernice Wang, and I'm studying concept art as a graduate student. This is the first character concept I've made for my thesis check in, and I want to redo her main pose a little as it feels pretty stiff. Before I do that, if I could get some feedback for the costume and weapon or the pose that would be much appreciated. She's supposed to be an assassin, so I went for light-ish armor.

Thank you!

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Some backstory and what you aiming for will really help with someone giving you a meaningful critique
    As a general note boots doesn't match her medical clothing  without a backstory that is -> european style books with asian armor .She look too ordinary maybe you should broaden your research and experiment with different shapes
  • redteapanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! Some of the research and the costume studies are old, and I definitely want to do more of it before I experiment with her silhouette and pose.
    Backstory is that this character is an assassin for hire, and her clothing and armor will take a lot from ancient chinese armor, but with some more modern adjustments as well, since a lot chinese armor I find is for heavy cavalry battle, and I want something lighter.
    As for what I'm aiming for, for a pose and silhouette in general, what could I do to create an interesting silhouette for assassins that are generally supposed to stay hidden, and what can I improve upon in the armor.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Why don't you try combining ninja and motorbike leather protection gear -> ninja for the pose[silhouette] and bike gear as inspiration that you can transform into something more asian looking

• redteapanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooh, I like the sound of that. Thanks! I'll post it back here after I've reworked it again.