Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation Demoreel critique

triangle
Offline / Send Message
CrisVaquero triangle
Hello! So, I am a recently graduated student and I would like to hear your opinion about my demoreel, what shots would you change/remove etc. Don´t be afraid of be hard, I can take it! Thank you very much for your time!! 

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    There's some cool work in here but overall the presentation feels too fast/chaotic. For example, the womans run cycles cuts to a running plant thing which is only on screen for a second or two. I am just getting to see what the creature is so I can analyze it, and then we cut to another shot. Also, I don't think you need the multiple angles, but if you really want them make sure I have time to see what's going on. Currently it only adds to the confusion.

By switching from character to character between shots you increase the amount of time I need to adjust to each shot. It may not be as exciting but if you group all of the shots of each character together it may read better.
    Another approach would be to include lead-up time before the very short shots and make that lead up time black and white if you didn't work on it. That's a common visual language I've seen on demo reels of it's important to the pacing.
    Anything you can do to help smooth out the flow will let us see your animation better. I don't focus on cinematics much so I'd be interested to hear what other techniques people would use.
  • CrisVaquero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrisVaquero triangle
    Thanks for the reply! :blush:

I made the cuts this fast so it wouldn´t bore the spectator, but if it is confusing I must change it! Also, I am a bit confused by your mention about the lead-up time; what do you mean exactly, to leave some frames before the animation starts? 
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

If you check out this demo reel at 1:31 you'll see a shot in black and white which says "NOT MINE" at the bottom. They included that shot because their shot was the next one, but it wouldn't flow or make sense without this shot before it. That's just one technique you can use if you worked on a project where you didn't do all the animation. Another option is just to leave a few frames of black in between shots if they have conflicting motion that would be confusing (ex. it would be confusing to cut from one shot where a character moving fast to the left to another shot where a character is moving fast to the right). In the end, if the overall experience isn't readable, it doesn't matter how good the animation is, and the point of your demo reel is to show off your animation. If you can also show off editing and whatnot that's great, but don't let it get in the way of your animation.
    The 3 shots after the woman running is the most confusing section for me. There are tilted camera angles, fast action and non-standard character doing crazy motions. Any of those are fine because they are a part of the shot, I just need time to process it. 
    For the Broccoli running, If you don't NEED to have the character from multiple angle, that I'd reduce it to a single 3/4 view. This goes for the other shots with multiple angles as well.
    For the shot with the blue background, was there a shot before this which you can include (in black and white) so that we can get used to looking at the character before they do this big action?

As for the wireframe, personally I'm not a fan and would almost always rather see just a basic shaded playblast/render. Wireframe isn't representative of the final product and usually just serves to add visual noise which gets in the way of the animation for me.

I'd cut or revisit the woman walking at 0:20. The legs are poppy and it doesn't hold up to the quality of some of your other shots.

I'm looking forward to seeing an updated version if you decide to change anything,
  • CrisVaquero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrisVaquero triangle
    Wow this is a super useful feedback, thank you very much! Sadly I have not had enough time to make any changes to the demoreel yet, but I am planing changing it as soon as possible, and I will submit the result again. I am hoping to have it done for the next week :D 
    Thank you very much again for the feedback, I hope you have a great week! :D
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Just some random off the cuff thoughts I had.
    -It looks like a lot of the characters have sliding feet in the first shot
    -the way those first 3 shots are cut together feels a little odd to me, like it doesn't quite flow from shot to shot the way it does in TV shows or movies
    - the pink girl has an odd hitch in her torso as she's running
    - the chair at :17 needs some love, currently it doesn't feel grounded
    -I don't think the stompy walk is your best work, I would omit or fix that one, currently it feels very poppy
    -broccoli needs textures
    -00:26-00:30 this section feels very confusing, and the lack of textures are not helping you. Right now I'm not really sure what's happening. Vegetable on a roller coaster I think?
    -31-49 is some of your stronger work I think
    -the last shot has a lot of weird pops and wall smacks, I would omit or revisit that one also
    -put your best work first and last

Also, Despite what people say, rendering DOES make a big difference. Obviously you still need to have solid animation though. Good luck!
  • CrisVaquero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrisVaquero triangle
    I am back again! Thank you @Archanex for the insight, it has also been very helpful. I have made some changes in the demoreel, so I am going to let you a link here in case you want to check it. I have not had time to correct the animations (like the one falling down) but I have left them there as place holders. It would be wonderful if you could tell me what you guys think :) 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/0f5d6ce2ac8e/#542763

And yes, vegetables on a roller coaster hahaah they are from a game I participated in, and the lore was a bit crazy. 
  • tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huge improvement in my opinion. Overall the reels flows WAY better now and because it's easier to watch, I get to focus on the animation more. I left some notes in sync sketch about some small things.

For the broccoli run cycle, was there a reason you specifically chose a 4 frame cycle? I understand that stylistically it should look very fast, but without motion blur I don't think 4 frames is giving you the best result. Maybe the poses should be slightly different, or maybe you need more frames, I'm not sure. I don't have much experience with cartoonishly fast animation like this, so hopefully somebody else can chime in with better advice about how to solve the issue.

Before I spend time critiquing the specific animations, are you able to revisit the shots from the first half of the reel? I know sometimes with group school projects it's not as easy to go back and touch things up.
  • CrisVaquero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrisVaquero triangle
    Halo! Thanks for the feedback, I will try to change it as fast as possible :).

About the broccoli run,it is the way we imported them into unreal, we wanted to achieve a really fast animation and as unreal works with seconds and not with frames (or that is what I understood in the moment) the better way to do it was animating it at 60 fps. Maybe at the moment of rendering the whole reel I have lost the effect, but honestly I don´t know how to do it in any other way :/ Maybe adding again the morion blur?

And the animation that you mentioned that "pops", it is supposed to be a loop of an animation that finishes  with the character looking to the other way, so when the animation ends, it loops back to the first position.

Some of them I am able to change but I don´t know if I will be able to achieve the same render quality. But if you leave me some feedback I will try to re-render and correct the animations, that is for sure :blush: