Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Art - Vehicles and Space Ships

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
hendrix polycounter lvl 11
I'm relatively new to using art for my own purposes, I have worked in the Graphic design industry for a while but have never been able to use it for my own creativeness. I enjoy Redrawing vehicles, my tools of choice for this is Adobe Illustrator. I try to get as many reference shots as possible and then recreate a vehicle, or if its something new I am working on let my creativity flow. 

I enjoy giving the vehicles a stylised look, semi cartoon in appearance. 

Due to my training in reprographics, and the techniques I use, the raw files of these could be blown up as big as necessary as they are all vector based. 

I work for the Emergency Services so my natural love is for Emergency service vehicles. 

This is a turntable ladder Fire Appliance from the 1960s. I liked the rounded look of the panelling and decided to recreate it. 

This is a Shelvoke and Dewry Fire appliance, I originally drew it to help with reference for the 3d model I was working on, there is little reference of this particular fire engine available. 

This is another 1980s Fir Appliance, this time a Dennis SS131, again it was hard to find decent reference. This one is backgroundless as I used the image in a pasteboard for something else. 

This is a Drop Ship design I was working on after I got an idea from watching Aliens. The design is similar, but is obviously designed for the Royal Navy rather than Colonial Marines. The Cockpit shape comes from an AH64 Apache, and the tail from a B29 Bomber, all the other bits and bombs are self designed. 

I then created a second variant for the valiant R.N.L.I, again just for fun really. 

Feedback and Criticism is more than welcome.

Replies

• rfarencibia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rfarencibia polycounter lvl 5
    I really liked the airplanes , its the first time I see the landing gear for snow I probably use it in my next airplane model, keep on the good work :smile:
  • hendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback!
  • reneterp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Impressive work I must say!!
  • hendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reneterp said:
    Impressive work I must say!!
    Obliged to you. 
  • hendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

A Medical Humber Pig, this is a Concept by myself for 1985. Apart from the obvious medical insignia on the Hull, the logo on the drivers door is another concept, this time taking the old Divisional Insignia of the 20th Light Division of World War one, modernising it, subduing it and using it here. 
  • hendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I have been looking at different Camouflage patterns for the vehicles I plan to have in the game. As conceptually the game is based in London, UK it wouldn't of been practical to leave military vehicles green, especially if there was such a threat. I've decided to have them re-fittable to the players needs. They will come in standard Olive Green and will be re-fittable to a Dark Grey, a black and above, a pattern shamelessly stolen from the British Berlin Brigade. 
  • hendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is one of the first pieces I did when I first got into 2d Art (Yes, I apologise its another Fire Appliance) the concept was originally for A Game called Emergenyc - I further went on to design all the badges and crests for the various Companies, as well as the Helmet plates. This is a Seagrave Fire Truck of the FDNY, in fairness it was an absolute pleasure to draw though with my level of skill at the time it did take me a fair while to do it.