Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Workflow feedback

MoonManTV
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
MoonManTV polycounter lvl 3
Hi,

Kinda new to this forum so not sure where to post this question. It is mostly a workflow related issue. So I was wondering if this workflow is good for creating a game ready character, since it seems to be a bit long..

Organic modelling basemesh Zbrush -> create character clothes -> retopology -> import 3dsmax -> fit hardsurface models to character -> import hardsurface models to zbrush -> detail hardsurface models -> finish character modelling in zbrush -> retopology -> UVmap -> Import to texturing program -> Finish Texturing -> Import texture+model 3ds max -> Rig/skin -> Animate -> Export animation + entire character -> Import >Insert game engine here< 

I know it is possible to create hardsurface models in Zbrush but I am more familiar with it in 3Ds max, and from videos it seems to be less clunky and more friendly than Zbrush's hardsurface tools.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I wouldn't "finalize" any single part of your model  before others. It's all got to work together, and you'll want to avoid do overs as much as possible. 

So getting things to a rough sketch state more or less,  then viewing in engine, trying to think about that end product in game as much as possible throughout the entire development is a great way to work. Just keep pecking away like that, trying to keep it loose and non-destructive as long as you can. Working this way requires a lot of familiarity with your software... if you aren't entirely comfortable with making game assets, I'd suggest a few simplistic ones first -- sort of a dry run of the entire process before you go full on with your bigger, more complex work. 

Technical talk subforum would be the most appropriate place for this, I think.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Basically the process is correct. Though not as straight forward as it might sound. For example it makes a lot of sense to create the base mesh for the character. So if you are starting from dynamesh in Zrbush, get the basic proportions right, turn dynamesh of and go to 3ds Max/Maya to get a good sculptable topology that has a higher density for the face and hands. You can do that also for clothing or hard surface and so on. That also gives you the benefit of having a low subdiv starting point. Also you will probably want to adjust the clothing to any hard surface you bring in on top and so on...

Working with layers in ZBrush is going to keep it editable. In productions you might be forced to go back and change stuff after importing to the engine, so it makes sense to get used to the non-destructive workflows mentioned.