Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | October - November

hero character
Offline / Send Message
Alemja hero character

Welcome to the Bi-Monthly Character Art Challenge!

New concepts will be chosen at the start of December
Previous Challenge Thread

How it works
  • Every new challenge, 3 Character Concepts will be provided
  • Pick one concept to work on for the duration of the challenge and post your progress here!
  • Complete a 3D game res model of your chosen concept
Guidelines
  • Help other artists grow! When you post an update, also leave a critique for someone else. Share knowledge you have learned
  • There are no software restrictions; you're welcome to use as little, or as many different software packages as you like.
  • There are no polygon or texture restrictions, it can be a 3,000 triangle hand painted model or a 100,000 triangle current gen model. Just make sure the final result is a game model, not a sculpt!
  • You are welcome to cross post on different sites (Artstation, Facebook, Discord etc.) for additional feedback
  • Before starting your character, break down the concept and plan your work accordingly. Being able to effectively estimate how long it will take to complete a project is an important skill, especially for freelance artists.
  • Your final presentation should be posed and rendered in any real time engine. (Marmoset, UE4, Unity, etc.)
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't hesitate to find the answer on your own - chances are, the answer to your problem has already been answered within these forums
  • If you feel anything should be modified or added to these guidelines, please let me know!
Resources

Concepts

Please credit and link to the artists when posting on other sites!

Dru. by Ilya Bodaykin

Fantasy World Creator - Character Design - Part I by Elisa Serio

Forest Sorceress by Lunabelle Night

How concepts are chosen:
  • Trying to keep it consistently one male character, one female and one other non-human (robot, creature, humanoid, etc)
  • Trying to keep the 3 concepts look like they are part of a theme or could fit in similar universe.
  • Concepts must be full body and clearly drawn. There shouldn't be a lot of guesswork on what the details or proportions are. Turnarounds are a good thing to have, but not required
  • Concepts shouldn't be too complex or too simple to allow people to get them done in the time-frame while also finding something interesting and giving a challenge.
  • Must be able to link back to the original source artist to they can be properly credited, places like Pinterest can lead to link rot. If I cannot find the source or original artist, the art will not be used
  • If you are a concept artist and want your concept removed or want to create a concept for a future challenge please feel free to contact me.
  • If you have any suggestions of themes you would like to see in the future, send me a message!

Replies

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    These look great and I can't wait to get started on this challenge. I think I'll be taking a shot at the second one, Dru. by Ilya Bodaykin!

Cant wait!
  • Djyver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    Hmm. First and second looks good. Hmm.. ) I Choose a first
  • miica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    I will go with Dru by Ilya Bodaykin. I think I will change some things slightly, like proportion of the legs. The body is also looks too young and healthy for an old man, I will see if I can add some aging to body.

I am also going to set the polycount to below 10k for everything except the hair, and maybe 5k for hair..

Also going to try hand painting some and see if I can combine that with normal maps.

Going to start collecting reference.

apollo580... I think you meant the first one

• neptunes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neptunes polycounter lvl 7
    Really looking at Dru by Ilya Bodaykin as well. I definitely need to make some male character models :)
  • crowlena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crowlena polycounter lvl 4
    I'm going to try the fantasy female character by Elisa Serio. Haven't made a female sculpt yet! Thanks for the challenge and concepts Alemja:)
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica said:
    I will go with Dru by Ilya Bodaykin. I think I will change some things slightly, like proportion of the legs. The body is also looks too young and healthy for an old man, I will see if I can add some aging to body.

I am also going to set the polycount to below 10k for everything except the hair, and maybe 5k for hair..

Also going to try hand painting some and see if I can combine that with normal maps.

Going to start collecting reference.

apollo580... I think you meant the first one

You're right, I meant the first one :P
  • adrxzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    These characters are RAD! great pics! 
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got started and blocked out some main shapes. I think Im going to remesh the model tomorrow and get the planes going for the body instead of adding muscles randomly.

• Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
    Hey I'm new to this challenge and thought I'd have a go at it. Choosing the forest sorceress by Lunabelle Night!:D But I was wondering, how strict is the relation to style and proportion? Should i treat the concept art as Law, or inspiration? Thanks! Looking forward to this!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @Zeozen There is some interpretation allowed, like for example that concept isn't colored so you're welcome to whatever color schemes you want, or certain things in a concept don't translate well, or if you want to go for a more simplistic texture scheme instead of replicating real-life materials. Generally I think it's best to try and stick to the concept as best you can and modify things as you need to make it work or get the desired result you want. Reason for that is because in a studio you're going to be given concepts that you are expected to figure out how to make it work, I wouldn't want to see the final result as a chibi for example. Hope that helps!
  • Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
    @Alemja That answers my questions exactly, thanks a ton! And that is good for me, because creating more realistically proportioned characters is something I need to gain experience in.
  • miica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    After a few days, here's my progress... I have been going back to learn some anatomy again, still need to study the arms, hand and feet, will ignore the legs for now because it's covered by cloth.

These are some of my references.

My Planning:
    I will be trying to model some of the accessories as much as I can by hand, instead of doing them in zbrush because later I can use what I already modeled for the topo.

The hair will be a pain... I am thinking of using Xgen to generate the hair card texture and using Blender to create and placing the poly hair.

The pants maybe I will try Marvelous designer, haven't have much experience with this software so just experimenting.

The two piece of cloth hanging in front will sculpt it out.

The weird thing on his right arm.. not sure what that is, I like it to be something growing out of his hand, will see how it goes..

Feel free to critics, I know something doesn't look right.. please point it out for me if you notice anything, thanks!

Btw.. for hair, I learn from slipgatecentral's video Draenei bust time lapse, and the hair brush I got it from Funky Bunnies.
  • DonEngland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    I miss doing these.  I'll be making the Forest Sorceress, lots of cool sculptural things to do with those plant/body intersections.
  • amandell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amandell polycounter lvl 12

Making the female "Forest Ranger" character. (Not sure if that's what she actually is, but there is not a name given. Maybe a mage instead?) Just blocking in all the separate pieces and overall look. I'll have a heck of a time retopologizing down the line, that's for sure. I'm glad I decided to give this a try, it's forcing me to learn ZBrush again. Any critiques welcome.

• Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, looking good everyone! I feel a bit lonely since I'm modeling from primitives and building up instead of sculpting eheh!
    Still in very early stages, but thought I'd share because I need to become better at communicating online. It's somewhat starting to take shape, but proportions and curves/lines aren't quite there. Planning on using transparency to create all the leaves. Not sure how I'm gonna do the hair yet.

• Djyver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    I changed my choice :)
    I want to practice cloth creating

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more progress today, need to fix up the head because it looks weird to me, critique welcome!

• Gohaeva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gohaeva polycounter lvl 3
    Hej! I'm working on Forest Sorceress. This is my progress so far. I'm gonna work on the profile sillouette next add some hair. Any advice is welcomed.

• Djyver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @Djyver Looks like you forgot to attach images

@apollo580 Head is looking a little too long from the side view, the space from the orbital socket to the ears is a bit much and could be reduced. I would also check the volumes around the lips they look pursed because you're missing some key fat areas around the corners of the lips.

@Gohaeva I would try to have the hands more relaxed, it will be easier for posing. Side view feels a little flat, I would have some of the leaves around the collar flow backwards more.
  • Djyver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
  • amandell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some visual dev testing with some polypaint in zbrush:

Not a final texture or anything, just feeling this out. Check out more images on my ArtStation post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOO8GX

• miica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    I am working at snail pace... Post my progress here first before going on to sculpt more of the body.. I decided to not ignore the thigh part and legs even though it's covered by cloth because I want to practice sculpting anatomy.

• Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
    I have made some progress, and it's at a place where all the parts, masks and basic topology is in place. I decided that the hair hanging behind her back is in the way for her spellcasting, so instead I'll focus on her "do up" hairdo. The next will be to add polys here, smooth out some curves there, fix some silhouette over there and then I'll move on to rigging before texturing. I have never made a character this complicated (well, complicated for me) before so I'm keeping it fairly low poly and manageable. Since I don't have that much experience, I wanted to focus on making a good rig for limbs and the clothes, and leave the face and mouth as just textures and do facial rigging for the next project.

As for giving critique to the others posting, it feels kinda weird to do since I not only feel I'm not in much of a position to give critique but also I have no knowledge of the sculpting workflow. But anyways I'll try:

@Djyver Great job on the clothes! but it looks like her hip and butt is too far back, a bit like lordosis.
    @miica sculpt is looking good, and this is not a critique or anything, but funny how much his personality changes with and with the facial hair :p 
    @amandell face looks good! don't really see anything I can critique on
    @Gohaeva Looks nice, but remember her spikes! What are you thinking about the hair behind her back?

• miica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    A little update... damn I am too slow, gotta push myself much harder..

Hmm... I see everybody else also seems to a bit lag in update too, keep pushing guys!

@Zeozen o.. yea, I think characters usually will looks much better with hair. But I try to create a nice shape underneath all those hairs because I think a good base can help me judge better (kinda similar concept to having a skeleton underneath the skins), I realized this when I look back at my old work, back in 2015 when I first participate in Monthly Character Art Challenge, I think it looks ok back then...

but when I unhide the hairs.. the structure of the head is not good (omg~ I can't bear to see this >.< )

As for giving critiques, I will try.. even if it's a bit too late now...

@Zeozen, I think the proportion looks close to the concept, the thing I would do is refine the polygons to add more details. For me, I would rather work on the polygons than paint my way out with the textures (because I really sucks at texturing compared to modeling)..

I think there are quite a few leaves (especially on the shoulder) that you can duplicates to add to the complexity, model one and duplicate them around to save some works, just an idea..

@amandell, the sculpt looks quite good. My first impression is a bit shocked, when I saw her face, it's a bit scary.. maybe because of her teeths, her upper teeths is ok i guess but there's some sharp teeths at the bottom (caused by overlapping cheek flesh I guess). I think she will looks better if you close her mouth though.. The head and body looks good, the only thing I think to add is the curves/shape, check out the lines are draw below.. look forward to see you adding more details!

@Djyver, I agree with zeozen on the hips.. the arms also a bit "muscular" for me, I would smooth out those muscles to make it more feminine (kinda too muscular on the side view). The angle and position of antler on the head can also tweak a bit, and the shape is a bit straight now, you can try play a bit more with the curves (google some images of deer antlers to refer to the shape). The face is a bit too far in front. The shoulder maybe can narrow a bit.

@Gohaeva, looks good, the things I would adjust more is the legs and face. The leg I would try make it more slender (a bit thinner and longer). For the face I would just try my best to match up the concept more...

@apollo580, the face is a bit too far to the front I think. The lips also seems to pinch too much, it looks tightened and not relaxed.. body's anatomy looks good too btw, just need to adjust more on the shape/silhoutte I guess

So guys, those are a bit of feedbacks from me.. please don't take it too seriously, just some ideas :)

I will pause a bit on this and go work on my geisha for the artstation challenge. I think Dru's body still need 2 or 3 times of refinement before I proceed to model/sculpt the cloth and the rest.

• Djyver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
    @miic, thx for feedback ) But.. i already finished retopo and bake) I think leave as is. But your feedback will help me in the future) I'll edit antlers

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I took your advice @miica and adjusted the face, it was definitely not working for me. One thing I kind of "discovered" is to not be afraid to destroy a part of your model to redo it if it's not working. The mouth was giving me some trouble and I just said screw it and just redid it. Saved myself a lot of time rather then what I was doing before and trying to fix something thats just too broken.

Djyver  - Looking good so far, but I think she needs to be a bit more slender, in the concept she looks very thing and a bit taller. At the moment she looks a bit wider then what the concept shows.

Also here is my update! Working on all the little details around the body now.

• Slimeknuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Zeozen inspired me to go low poly on this. Wishing now I had chosen a different concept,though.
    Oh well, healthful competition, right?
    Here is my progress, some way to go to fit the forest sorceress concept.

P3d link to Challenge Progress
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi. Bit late but I couldn't resist. Once again the chosen concepts are absolutely awesome. I'd really love to do all three, but chose Dru. Here is my progress so far.

After adding the anatomy to the base and then place holders for the costume he had way too much volume. Here is a view of the blank. Havent done the hands or feet yet.

The work here is cracking as usual. I'll try catch up.
    Cheerio
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    A little more progress.

Lots to do!
    Cheers
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The arm piece. Smoothed the anatomy.

• Zeozen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeozen polycounter lvl 5
     Zeozen inspired me to go low poly on this.
    Heh, that's awesome!
    looking great!

I've had too much on my plate so I haven't been able to really do a lot for this. But I've decided to at least finish it, even if it's not a masterpiece. All I need now is to finish her texture, and I'll call it done. Not really the greatest, but I think it will be best if I at least somewhat tie it together.

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Miica's entry looks so good, hope they finish it. Looking great too @kanga
  • Djyver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Djyver polycounter lvl 6
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    @Djyver You may want to mess with the transparency of her hair a little more as it looks really patchy right now. Feels like it should have more volume
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @Zeozen@Torch Thanks guys!
    A Little more progress with the costume.

@Djyver The elbow on the posed arm looks like you could move the polys so that the elbow bone is more evident. In the pose she is now she looks to be falling back a bit. If you draw a center line through the figure its easier to see where she might be unbalanced. Great work.

Cheers
  • Slimeknuckle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully this is presentable.

• amandell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished the character, wanted to present it as nicely as possible. Spent the last week really pushing to get this into a final state. Model (with weapon) is under 100K triangles. Check out my ArtStation post (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w8JXkg) for high res images, texture breakdowns, and marmoset viewer. Hope you all enjoy!

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Nice work to everyone who has oompleted concepts so far! A new challenge is up for December-January! You're encouraged to continue working on this challenge if you so choose, you can either continue to post in this thread (it will no longer be stickied) or start your own thread

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @Slimeknuckle the face looks great!
    @amandell Great job on the staff and hair.
    Some more progress.  More detail, and decided to do the hair, beard and dress with planes. Also the skirt seems ripped and frayed instead of the holes I put in earlier. The aim is to rig and get it moving and into unreal.

Cheerio