Home Technical Talk

[SOLVED] How to modeling a building in 3ds max with only drawing plan???

Pain
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pain polycounter lvl 9
Hello guys,
I would like to know what is the workflow to model a building with only drawing plan? Yes, no cad file. And my drawing plan has scale 1:50.
Is there anyway to import the drawing plan as a reference but with exact scale as it is in drawing plan? Such as the width or the length of the walls. 
I tried to import the image as the reference to 3ds max but it seems like the scale is off, I meant it has different ratio compared to the detailed number in the drawing plan.
for example: 

Replies

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Find the pixel size of the images usually right clicking the image in your file browser and going to properties then details tab.

Go into 3ds max and drop in a plane and input those values into your planes height and width. Probably set it as a floor plane since this is a ground plan.

Throw a new material onto the plane by pressing M, and dragging and dropping one of the materials in the window onto the plane. For that same material set the diffuse to the image using the small grey box next to the color value(to the right). Go into your viewport and make sure you're shaded and make sure you have shaded materials with maps enabled in the drop down for LMB clicking the "Shaded" button at the top left of your viewport. 

You now have an accurate scale reference image which you can then set to scale up by whatever amount you need, just note that in this case each pixel of the image will be 1cm in 3ds max so adjust your scale accordingly.

Now that you know the manual way to do this. There is a script that does it for you because it's time consuming. Thanks br0t.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/drag-drop-reference-images
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    Ahhhh, Thank you so much @zachagreg. Your scripts is so damn useful, I don't have to manually do the import reference. Beside it imports accurate scale of the image. 
    Thanks alot man.