Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Modular Asset Seams

null
Offline / Send Message
Crimes null
Alright, so I am working on some modular walls for a building system in a survival game and i'm fairly new to UE4/Asset Creation. I am having a hard time getting the seams to line up correctly and after I build the lighting some of the walls get darker like their lighting is messed up. When I created the UV's for the solid wall and the doorway wall, I stacked the UV's on top of each other so they would share the same texture and the detached them into their own separate meshes. Then I opened the UV's for the doorway and moved the UV's for the doorway 1 unit out of the UV space so they could share the same texture space. But whenever I try to line up the meshes in unreal there's always some sort of seam that sticks out. I just can't get rid of it no matter what I do. I'm gonna attach some pics of my current problems with my UV's and textures as well.

I would appreciate any help as I have been working at this all day and have not been able to figure it out.

Thanks!

Here is the solid wall and the doorway wall butted up against each other with the visible seam

Here is the walls after i build the lighting

Here is my UV layout, everything on the right of the UV space is for the doorway wall segment

And finally, here is what my texture looks like. The bark and stripped wood are both seamless 

Replies

• jakemoyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo polycounter lvl 4
    Its  Hard to tell from these images but it looks kind of like your UVs don't extend to the very edge of the texture. Which would mean it would cause just a slight seam in the otherwise seamless texture.
  • Crimes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimes null
    Hmm... I'll give that a try, thanks!
  • PatrickSF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickSF triangle
    The lighting is most likely doing that because of how the two objects are treated during the light building process. It lights the three walls as three separate objects and will leave an odd lighting seam. Using the merge feature in UE4 or placing an object (like a post or what have you) on the seam solves it usually. Also, Check and make sure the uv channel created for the lightmap looks correct. Any issue there might have caused a problem with the light map.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    It looks like you are missing the very basics... You are trying to use baked lighting but it looks like you don't have a lightmap uv map. That uv map should have everything inside 0-1 space and shouldnt have overlapping uvs. Currently those faces simply cannot be baked correctly because they are outside of 0-1 region thats why they are dark after building the lighting.