Home Technical Talk

Maya Locking

Lerrp
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Lerrp polycounter lvl 2
 Quick noob question for you guys. I am looking for a way to lock a edge loop or other component into place. Not the entire object just a component within the object. So that edge loop that is set can remain unchanged while I work on other loops that are around it. Is this possible??

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, convert your edges to vertices, then in the channel box, you'll see a CVs (click to show) which expands the selection. You can either drag select or Ctrl-A to pick them all. Then right click and do Lock Selected. Eventually you'll want to unlock them, it's the same process but doing Unlock selected; you don't need to have the same ones selected exactly.

This is kinda handy especially with soft select despite the clunkiness, now that I'm playing with it. It could be combined with using selection sets if it's something you might do a lot or even scripted with a clean little UI. hm...
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Beginner may not know how to convert a selection. Just in case, here's an easy way : select your edge loop, hold down ctrl and right click to get a marking menu with conversions to different kinds of components. So drag over to vertices once and then again. 

• Lerrp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lerrp polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks guys! Worked perfectly. I did notice tho that a locked vert is not respected in quad draw. While working with all other tools it stays locked. I guess its not the biggest deal, I was trying to use quad draw relax on the area without moving those verts. I ended up using the smooth from the sculpt geo tool instead. But if I'm missing something on how to get quad draw to respect the lock let me know. Thanks again.