Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[NEED CRITIQUE AND ADVICE] ArtStation Challenge 3D Prop Category

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
htannerhartman polycounter lvl 5
So I am not a concept artist but I very much enjoy concepting my own original ideas and planning out my model. Well, I have come to a cross roads with my design and not sure where to take it. 

The theme of the challenge is "The Shogunate: Feudal Japan". So I liked the idea of this wondering mercenary who kept to himself. Sort of an Edo Period hitman/assassin who was very inconspicuous. So I thought instead of carrying a whole arsenal around with him, he would have concealed weapons. So I came up with the concept below; an Arquebus (matchlock pistol), a Zatoichi sword (cane sword), and a medallion he wore around his neck that doubled as a looking glass. SO, all these pieces together created a long range rifle essentially. 

This is where I am getting conflicting critiques from people. After I roughed out how I wanted the pieces to fit together and function, I started to detail out the Zatoichi sword. I started with this and really liked the direction I was going artistically, but I started getting concerned. 1) It started to get too intricate and flashy for someone who was an assassin and wanted to be inconspicuous. 2) I was afraid that it would make the overall 3-combination concept too busy and/or unbalanced. 

Following my gut, I decided to make a toned-back version that followed the Zatoichi sword more closely and more akin to an elusive assassin. But this concept received criticism from others saying it wasn't detailed enough. I told them my idea for the person who would be carrying this weapon and they believed I should be wanting to just make an interesting piece that shows off my skills. But I hear that people like to see a story being told with the piece; "who held this weapon?" "What was it used for?" "What is the context?". 

So I'm asking for additional input. Should I just throw my character out the window and just focus on making this over-the-top piece? Or should I keep it simple and subtle?

Please and thank you for any critiques or advice! It would be a big help!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Compromise?

As in, keep the cool coiling snake/dragon designs but have them be more subdued? Like an engraving that is only really seen when light is reflecting from it.

So then at first glance the character seems inconspicuous, but when you observe a little closer you notice there's more to his mere cane than meets the eye.

Same goes for the rest of the character as well then. Maybe the face is pretty unassuming but find a way to get a little glint of cleverness in the eyes. 
  • jakemoyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakemoyo polycounter lvl 6
    I agree^.  Maybe try for something like this? i feel like the sky is the limit with this kind of design direction. Spice it up with a little silver trim and bam!
  • htannerhartman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    htannerhartman polycounter lvl 5
    I think you both are right, I'll create a happy medium between the two. I really like that engraving/relief look.