Home Career & Education

First Interview for Game Artist Role, but...

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Gallamanji polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone,

So for the first time since I started my first job 3 years ago, I've been applying for jobs. It's nice to be getting responses now that I have a few years experience, and I have just been asked for a Skype interview with a game company in the UK for "Lead Artist". My skills are in hard surface modelling of props, and some texturing. I'm writing this post to ask for advice going into an interview, but also because I have a concern: I've never worked in the Game Industry before, and I don't feel comfortable going straight into a Lead Artist role, I would rather start out as a junior. I am a senior in my current job, but my current job is Military e-learning/training, and most of the work up until recently has taken the form of renders, animations and interactive flash media. Only very recently we have started to do things for real time and VR, and all the real-time rendered models in my portfolio were done in my own time outside of work.
So I am just wondering how I should handle this? I didn't realise I had applied for lead, but I really want to work for the company and I'm glad I got their attention. Clearly they have seen something of interest because they want to interview me, and reading the job description I can see how I fit into certain niche parts of the role, I've just never worked in the game industry before. 
Any advice on this, and general interview tips are really, really appreciated.

Thanks all!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'd reach out to experienced people to ask them about what sort of production schedules you'll be dealing with.  I doubt they doubt your raw skills, but prolly going to be asking about the softer skills.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I interview someone for a lead role, the questions fall in three basic areas:

1. Technical. Do they know how to solve the kinds if problems we deal with? Or are they weak in key knowledge areas. Will I learn things working with this person?

2. Management. What strategies do they use to manage their work. Do they have experience managing & mentoring others? How did they handle difficult leadership situations.

3. Cultural. Are they good communicators. Positive influencer? Professionalism. Comfortable in their own skin. If this person became my boss, would we get the support we need?

For a junior role, I'm just looking at current skills, ability to grow, and cultural fit.