Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Simple Procedural Favelas

QuanTa1810
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
QuanTa1810 polycounter lvl 6
Hi all !!
As an environment artist and a senior in college. A topic of creating objects procedurally has become a trend in the last recent years. It's really intrigue me to dive in this hot topic and acquire myself some new knowledge to improve my skill set as well as my workflow.

Check out my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/quanta1

I'm currently working on a project for my capstone in college involving creating a procedural environment. I'm not particularly familiar with the idea of procedural modeling as well as coding. But, I decide to challenge myself to create a environment involves a lot of procedural objects.

After looking at crazy, beautiful procedural environment like the Shanty Town by Marina and Procedural Lake Houses by genius Anastasia (Can't believe she only a year older than me), a question pop in my mind. Would I be able to create a procedural environment with very basic knowledge in Procedural Modeling as well as coding?

I took this question as a challenge and decide to make it my final project in college. I will be posting update every Tuesday night so I could keep make consistent progress.

The environment I create will be a lot more simpler than Shanty Town and Procedural Lake Houses. I have always wanted to create an environment similar to "Papo & Yo" environment since I was a freshman. A lot my project inspiration will definitely come from the game.

My goal is to use combine procedural modeling in Houdini with some traditional modeling in Max, Blender. Texture them with Substance Suite and then export them out to Unreal Engine 4. Still retain all the procedural capability!

Here are some references

And here's a quick concept I sketched out for the overall scene I'm striving for

I'm still a newbie in the world of procedural modeling so any feedback would significantly help me as well as my project!!  

Replies

• QuanTa1810
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QuanTa1810 polycounter lvl 6
    UPDATE #1: Favela Block Out

Ciao!

After watching a few tutorials and bunch of testing and experimenting. Here is a quick progress update for this week. Just testing out with a box and create very basic type of roofs. The windows are currently traditional modeled for testing purposes. There will be more coming next week.

https://youtu.be/WK2QvS2tfQo