Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci-Fi Shotgun

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Deforges polycounter lvl 11
I'm working on a energy shotgun. Currently it's not conveying too much "sci-fi" I think I'm going to have to remake and have a separate texture set for the magazine. For right now here is where I'm at, critiques welcome

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    NIce!!!
    Now, that rust looks a bit extrange? Is it dirt or is it rust? Because I am not sure.
    Besides, the roughness map needs some more work. That blued part, for example, needs a lower value that the one you have set.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    That looks awesome. I agree with the roughness. Needs some more variation on the main metal. To get that sci-fi look: what you could do is get an emissive light in there somewhere. Really subtle. But can add to that space-touch. Great work though, keep it up.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the help guys. I made some slight adjustments and uploaded to artstation. I'm going to start another texture set for this as well.

more pics on artstation
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I like the simpliciity of this.  This totally works as some sort of consumer, non military weapon to me.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Very cool indeed. I like the feel of it. Feels "Blade Runner" esque.

You are probably way past this point, but one possibility I see is on the back of the receiver, on the rounded end of it above where teh users hand will be. Real life side-by-side's usually have a lever here and a thumb safety. The lever pushes to the side to break the thing in half to load in more shells. 

But you've got some kind of energy weapon here, so loading in two shells at a time isn't an issue. But, adding in some kind of lever or button to that same spot might have been cool. In a game, that could change from a short range scattered blast to high-precision slugs or something. Whatever you want really.