Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bristle Cone

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
Couldn't think of a project to work on, so I googled 'old tree' and started sculpting something cool I found. Will probably aim to complete this one before the next ArtStation challenge (mid October).

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you can't really see the fine details, but I'm sure they'll show up more with better renders after the texturing phase. I'll try and get a closer image in a short bit.

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Its hard to give any meaningful feedback on this project at this point. Are you following one specific tree or are you taking inspiration from a bunch and then making your own?
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CybranM Yeah, here's some references. I'm not following the reference images to a T, but taking inspiration from them. After posting these references, I see a bunch of things I'm going to need to fix. The shapes of the branches don't really match the references, and I need some areas where the tree is breaking apart from itself.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I actually dropped the division level down a massive amount and spent more time focusing on the form of the tree. I simply used decimation master to achieve the low poly and here's the baked product.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpted a bit and rebaked. Realized how much fine detail I was missing. Texturing process so far!

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current work. Probably going to set up a small environment for the final render.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Created a rocky ground material. I'll be starting the Artstation Challenge in a few days, not sure if I'll finish this project before that. I'd like to get a simple cool rocky desert scene going, with some simple plants and some rocks, and arrange everything with good composition. If anybody has any cool ideas that's be appreciated. Then again, how many cool ideas could you have for an old tree in the middle of a desert  :p

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna wrap this project and move onto the Artstation challenge. Definitely felt like my sculpting game improved quite a bit. After the challenge, I might come back and make some edits, like making better snow and the like.