Home Career & Education

Do Studios hire Freelance 3D artists?

Hey guys, Im new to Polycount and I'm currently thinking of switching careers from a freelance 2D illustrator on tumblr doing private D&D commissions to a 3D Artist doing both High & Low Poly, Stylized PBR & Hand-painted game props such as environment assets (Barrels, Tomes, Chests, Inventory Items etc) and weapons as a starting point. I have a goal of working on such projects from home as a 3D artist. I'm wondering if i can get a reality check from more experienced/seasoned 3D artists on whether my goal is realistic or not?

Thanks in advance! :)

Here are some of my works currently:
model
Some Flora designs for a Personal Project: <a href="https://xliu.artstation.com/projects/Gwr34" title="Link: https://xliu.artstation.com/projects/Gwr34">https://xliu.artstation.com/projects/Gwr34</a>
Some Weapon Concepts for the same Project: https://xliu.artstation.com/projects/gaqdG

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Yes studios hire freelance artists, but usually these threads end up with a big contrast in the responses, some saying it's impossible to live on and some saying it's the best decision they have ever made.

And the contrast itself is quite close to the reality, when bigger studios actually do look for individual freelance artists and take the time to scout them out themselves they all go for the top 1% artists on the skills or name value chart, so you end up with one small group of artists that never have trouble getting work and one big group of artists that have a very different experience.

it really depends on where you live as well, many can earn a good life on indie salaries, usually the problems occur when someone with little experience but require an American salary to get by tries out freelancing.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Hi 

*This is mostly from an Indie games/small studio perspective

I'm a freelance 3D Artist mostly doing stylised low poly for Indie games so thought I'd pitch in. I wouldn't say I fall into the 1% as mentioned above. I was surprised to pick up more work than expected but I am very good at applying to lots of different opportunities and quickly responding to potential clients. Also I have quite a big portfolio of work to show that I've built up over time - I'm guessing you are considering making a 3D portfolio. I would say though that not being in the 1% the wages you earn are more like an American minimum wage per year so it depends how much money you need. That is not to say you set your rates super low. Just so that they are accessible to Indies and smaller companies. Also I have been able to pick up jobs in different areas which pay better (arch vis) so I'd say the key to not being in the 1% is being a generalist until your work is at that very high skill level. By generalist I mean use whatever skills you have so in your case take on concept art and illustration work as well as 3D. Also it's good to not limit yourself to props - expand out into making environments too. If an Indie studio hires you they probably will only have one or two artists (I'm the only artist working on the game I work on!) which means it'd be good to be able to cover concept art, props, environments, simple animation. 

Are you set on just doing a hand-painted texture style? I'm seeing a lot of Indie games that are low poly stylised but are not necessarily hand-painted. I think for indies the hand-painted style takes longer to do (so costs more) than some other art styles - also indie games like to have their own unique art style - so you may find it is mostly the bigger studios who require hand-painted which might make it more competitive to get freelance work doing. Mobile games also like hand-painted though so that could help. How are your 3D modeling skills? I think those are potentially more important when trying to get work on Indie games. You have the advantage that you can do concept art - which Indies will like - as it means you can also design the 3D assets you make yourself (I do this also altho my concept art isn't to your level). 

The best way to figure this out is just to get applying and see what work/wages you get - you figure it out as you go along. 
  • Boklin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boklin null
    How to find those studios that give freelance work? Are they any specific studios that do this, or even mid-AAA studios also give freelance projects?
    I want to find these studios, because my only experience will be from working freelance, because my country 3D/VFX or even gaming, is non-existent 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Also expand your search to art outsoourcing studios.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    @Boklin I don't usually look at specific studios. Try the polycount freelance job board, Unity Connect or Unreal job board. Also I know on Arstation you can check 'remote work' under the jobs section.