Home Career & Education

Seeking artschool recommendations (Long read)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
Going to continue to work on this thread a bit per week when I have time, Finding a place for a big moose q.q

tl;dr Car crash -> nerve damage -> wicked surgery -> Recovery -> Switched majors -> Lets find an art school?

Will be finishing up a general associates degree so that I don't lose all my credits. Its been a long time but I decided even if its a struggle I'd like to really invest my life in artwork. Once I finish my associates I will be spending 4-6 months on a portfolio then applying for the fall semesters (ideally.)

The first question of the day

Traditional studies, or game studies?

I have been working in almost all of the currently popular industry programs. I feel that I have a really decent understanding of how to navigate and utilize most of these programs. I think really understanding form, colors, and even things such as concept creation or expressions would be beneficial. From what I've heard a lot of game art schools give the student a super generalized education for the first two years, which I feel may not benefit me at all. I'm currently taking a drawing 1 class as one of my final credits for an associates and already feel the benefit of being pushed out of my comfort zone. I'd like to explore these things a lot more, especially with sculpture.
Please share your opinion on game art vs art school, Thank you ;D

So here's where things get fickle.

Out of state art schools are more expensive than international art schools, and I'd honestly like to go abroad to study and expand my horizons. (I've never left my state other than maybe one trip to new york and to visit family in a state over..)

There is always the ability to self-study and make it, but I really just don't know what I don't know. I'd also really like to move out of my current situation, as its not a peaceful place to study. Yet taking out a loan without being in school is extremely challenging, and currently all money I make goes to medical bills (Meaning saving to self-study in a good environment isn't progressing well :P).

Lets look at schools:
Most of the ones I will write out have been recommendations I've seen floating around or personally recommended.
None of the prices include room & board; May revise with estimated costs of living in the near future.

In America:

Gnomon school: Estimated price: $43,000 (per year.) (Big oof on that price, I've bought some tutorials from here in the past and have been rather disappointed by some. I hear awesome things about it, but the price point may just make me want to take a master study class there in the future.. not a degree.)
https://www.gnomon.edu/

University of Houston: Estimated Price: $9,000 (Local, and have heard great things about its art programs. However I have not heard a single thing about anything digital in regards to UH; Would have to investigate further. Offers traditional sculpture.)
Price likely to double or more with cost of living and degree expenses(Apartments are $1000+/Month in houston), Still seems reasonable compared to out of state / international.
http://www.uh.edu/kgmca/art/

Starting a dialogue with some local colleges about abroad study and co-ops. I'll let you know how that goes.

In Canada: 

Vanarts : Estimated Price: $29,000ish tuition (per year I -think-) (Close to vancouver for potential internships and junior art positions / A friend has been here and says its not bad, and gave me some information to get in touch with teachers; Will be doing so soon and getting more information about the curriculum)
Doesn't seem to offer a sculpture program outside of Game Art & Design Program
Curious if there would be a possible benefit of working towards citizenship through going to school in canada.
http://www.vanarts.com

Thoughts on online schools/mentorship programs? (again not too sure about self-study situations because of personal situation currently, Would be hard to study well.)

Help me compile a list to investigate further and potentially visit please! I appreciate any recommendations.

Where did you go? Why would you recommend/avoid it?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I've heard Gnomon is quality, but I think you might have the tuition incorrect, I remember hearing it's way more expensive to attend than $43k per year.

Van Arts has a pretty good rep. I've heard both students and employers talk highly of the students who went there. You might have to consider that foreign students would pay more, (as a Canadian, it is $32k last time I checked), and this won't cover living costs, of which Vancouver is not cheap. If you're lucky, you might find a bedroom for $700 a month (very lucky). If you end up in Van, hit me up on here and I can see if I know of any cheap rooms up for grabs. Also, I know a few people who took game art school here in Van, but that didn't allow their visa to be renewed, so you can't fully count on getting junior or intern positions, contacts, etc just because you go to school here. That being said...

You mentioned taking out a loan to pay for this, but also you mentioned all the money you make goes to medical bills. The financial aspect seems to be drawing my attention more than what school you want to attend. Are the medical bills going to end anytime soon? Having student loans for an expensive school on top of medical bills, and having a specialty which is renowned to be difficult to break into, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm not aware of your full financial situation, but realize learning on your own by taking cheaper online classes is possible, and you won't come out needing to spend 5+ years paying that off.

School gives you 3 main things: focused and mentored learning by a teacher, dedicated time, and contacts (other students and teachers). If you're willing to go into debt $50k+, it will have those benefits. You can, however, learn 3D art just by doing tutorials online, if you're dedicated enough.

What is your associates degree in?
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    I've heard Gnomon is quality, but I think you might have the tuition incorrect, I remember hearing it's way more expensive to attend than $43k per year.

Van Arts has a pretty good rep. I've heard both students and employers talk highly of the students who went there. You might have to consider that foreign students would pay more, (as a Canadian, it is $32k last time I checked), and this won't cover living costs, of which Vancouver is not cheap. If you're lucky, you might find a bedroom for $700 a month (very lucky). If you end up in Van, hit me up on here and I can see if I know of any cheap rooms up for grabs. Also, I know a few people who took game art school here in Van, but that didn't allow their visa to be renewed, so you can't fully count on getting junior or intern positions, contacts, etc just because you go to school here. That being said...

You mentioned taking out a loan to pay for this, but also you mentioned all the money you make goes to medical bills. The financial aspect seems to be drawing my attention more than what school you want to attend. Are the medical bills going to end anytime soon? Having student loans for an expensive school on top of medical bills, and having a specialty which is renowned to be difficult to break into, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm not aware of your full financial situation, but realize learning on your own by taking cheaper online classes is possible, and you won't come out needing to spend 5+ years paying that off.

School gives you 3 main things: focused and mentored learning by a teacher, dedicated time, and contacts (other students and teachers). If you're willing to go into debt $50k+, it will have those benefits. You can, however, learn 3D art just by doing tutorials online, if you're dedicated enough.

What is your associates degree in?
    I used gnomons school cost estimator, but I am sure it will be more expensive. The tuition for vanarts was also just what was on the page for international, and likely will be more too >.< Housing is something that I know will basically double or more the cost of some schools, so right now I am just trying to establish a list of places I may like to study. 

Well, regardless of medical bills or not theres no way I am going to have 40k laying around to pay for any of the schools :P The medical things are almost completely taken care of and will be a non-factor. It was just more of a statement of "I have no savings right now, and likely wont have much built up before I want to enroll."

I agree it will be extremely difficult, but I am not looking to really do it for the career. I want to do it for myself, I have a few years of IT experience so I don't see myself having trouble with getting employment if I need it (this sounds arrogant but it really is a highly-saught field that almost anyone can get into if you can answer a few questions about PCs).

Associates is a general ed packed full of computer science. I unfortunately was closer to the general ed (of course, Just need a history and science lol) than the associates of comp sci (Needed another math, Plus my original higher-level maths didn't transfer -.-)

The benefits you listed to me are something I value very highly after having interacted with professors, students etc. Its something that its very difficult to get while locked in your room studying. Its not that I have no experience at all, I have worked pretty hard in the past for 3D; Its just if you don't know what you don't know, you won't pick the tutorials that will teach you necessarily. 

I genuinely may consider just staying local, since that will result in a lot less debt, but I am just not sure about anything. I have to investigate a lot! 

During the time I build my portfolio and really set my feet in and learn, I may find that "Hey.. maybe I shouldn't go to school, I think im fine like this?" But at the same time.. There's this feeling of missing out on something without that traditional art education
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    What about online schooling?