Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Environment - Roman Domus (WIP)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
LiamMakesArt polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some feedback on this environment I'm currently working on. I feel like there is a lot of work I can to do push the scene further but I'm stuck for ideas. 
I think the main issue may be with my lighting, to me it looks really flat and dull. Attached is a reference img of what I hope to achieve and my lightmass settings.

If you have any advice, I would love to hear it! 

Replies

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, lighting is way off. Are you using fill lights or is that purely from a single directional light? A wise man once told me to delete all my lights, reset lighting and post-processing to default and start over. It worked really well for my scene, and I think would help you clear your head a little bit. Also, post just your base colour, because that could be having an effect.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    That lighting does look weird, in fact is it just the lighting or are the textures set up a bit weird, it almost looks to me like the wrong srgb settings on some of the textures? I could be wrong on that but anyway if you are bringing stuff across to UE4 from substance painter remember to do this stuff. https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/spdoc/unreal-engine-4-144998459.html The environment looks a decent scale, I would expect some doors or windows around the couryard. Good luck, hope it goes well!
  • LiamMakesArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamMakesArt polycounter lvl 6
    Are you using fill lights or is that purely from a single directional light?
    Just a directional light right now, heres a screenshot of my settings for the light and sky sphere, and my base colour.
    I'll scrap all my lighting & post processing and see if I can achieve better results.

@Ged thanks for the link, I had a look at my imported textures and it looks like everything was imported correctly, so I think it's just my less than desirable lighting that looks weird :smile: