Home Career & Education

Can i learn to become Artist on my own as a self taught?

Boklin
null
Offline / Send Message
Boklin null
I am 30, maybe it is way to late for me, but i am really eager to become character modeler/artist. I decide it to change career from software engineering. Writing code is not for me, to much math, to math languages, and it constantly changing. My dream is to work for gaming or VFX company. 

I never drew in my life before. My friend gave me Maya to use, and i am learning how to model atm. 

It is possible for me learn on my own, without school, how to draw? 
Is there some books or online tutorials/courses, to learn how to draw from beginning? As i am learning how to model in Maya, i also want to learn how to draw. My interest are characters and creatures. And i need to know Anatomy as well. Would be good if someone point me out, in right directions. 

I know everything comes to practice, am willing to practice and learn whole day. But i don't know how and where to start. 
Drawing and Anatomy, are both for me enigmas now.I am not sure, what to learn first, how to learn. what to draw....

Should i start directly with Photoshop? to draw in photoshop with tablet? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I started self teaching myself 2 years ago at 29, check out my portfolio in my signature. It's definitely doable, but you've gotta cut stuff like social life for a few years.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It is possible to self-teach, yes.
    There are beginner courses, such as taking drawing classes at a community college close by as a start.  Either that or a GOOD art academy.  Basically anything that at least gets your feet wet with guided teaching will be good this early out.  Keep critical about how good the school/learning location is as time goes on, since as you get better, there's going to be more esoteric knowledge that'll be better serviced by certain teachers or schools.

Art fundamentals, regardless of where and what, will usually apply.  It's foundations for a reason: figure drawing, values, composition, design, color theory, etc.

You could start with Photoshop, but as you'll realize over time, the medium rarely matters in regards to art fundamentals.  So it's not a hard no, but don't let the medium dictate the range of places you can practice.  I still study in my sketchbook, pen and small paper, these days, while also painting in Photoshop.

Also, please post here in Polycount.  This place is also a school of sorts, and I would not have gotten as good as I have in the last 8 years without the hard work and community here.  If you give your art here, you will get back more than you expected.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, yes you can become an artist too, i'm saying this because i started doing 3D about 3 years ago and i'm completely self taught, i'm not working in the industry as an employee but i reached the point where people pay for my works and it is satisfying.

Some times ago i replied to a thread where the op was asking for a "route" to follow to learn 3D, i wrote a quiete detailed answer about the method that i used to learn 3D and environment art, maybe it can be useful to you too: https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2635942#Comment_2635942
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Categorically in the affirmative.

Subsequently I'd worked part time freelancing whilst doing so made a good living but now...tyranny of old age has at last caught up with me :) so do both CG and traditional art for simple enjoyment alongside a little gamedev on the side to keep my eye in and as for learning material I'd suggest browsing this resource for starters which I should think covers most 2D aspects you'd touched on.  

https://forums.cgsociety.org/c/techniques/art-techniques-and-theories    

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Boklin, that could be me you describe...
    30s, Coder, want to become character modeler/artist! :D
    ... welcome on the boat ...

Although I have not reached my goal yet, i am sure i will!

Like @Eric Chadwick said:
    It's never too late!
  • Boklin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boklin null
    sacboi said:

Subsequently I'd worked part time freelancing whilst doing so made a good living but now...tyranny of old age has at last caught up with me :) so do both CG and traditional art for simple enjoyment alongside a little gamedev on the side to keep my eye in and as for learning material I'd suggest browsing this resource for starters which I should think covers most 2D aspects you'd touched on.  

How old are you:?
    Damn i am 30 already, and i think i am old too:(
    Does studios hire old people:D?
    Do they have age discrimination?
    I live in a country without any game or movie studio.How to get a job from aboard? I have read that strong portfolio makes a difference.And if i make a very strong portfolio, do i have a change to be hired? 
  • Boklin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boklin null
    sacboi said:

I live in a country without any game or movie studio.How to get a job from aboard? I have read that strong portfolio makes a difference.And if i make a very strong portfolio, do i have a change to be hired? 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Visa.  University Education/Degree.  Strong Portfolio.
    Yes.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Boklin said:

57 :D

...and what Panda said.

P.S.

Don't for gawd's sake let age hang you up, if the art is there and in equal measure you get along with people then really your submission for a vacancy will usually be determined on merit alone, grey hairs notwithstanding :)