Home Technical Talk

[3dsMax]Will I run into trouble for scaling up an object?

ntomassetti
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
ntomassetti polycounter lvl 2
I've started modeling an environment that I plan to flush out in UE4.  I haven't begun texturing and nothing I've built yet is meant to be modular but what I have built I didn't build to the scale I should have.  Will I run into any issues if I use the scale tool and make things the size they should be?  Will I be fine if I reset XForms after scaling?  I've seen a mixed bag of answers around the web.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Shouldn't be an issue.. Most applications have options to adjust the scale on import anyhow. And resetting x-form is general good practice before export.

• spacefrog
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    Alternative to scale on the node level and reset xform afterwards ( should not be a problem if you don't have a modifier stack on the model though ) , you also could train yourself to always scale using "Affect Object Only" ( see your hierarchy panel -> pivot tab )
    for fast toggling you could use the following snipped bound to a keyboard shortcut

<pre class="CodeBlock"><code><b><span class=" post-color-black">if( maxops.pivotmode != #objectOnly) then&nbsp; maxops.pivotmode = #objectOnly else maxops.pivotmode = #none</span></b>

• ntomassetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ntomassetti polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the tips!