Home Technical Talk

Is there a standard workflow for using anti/aliasing when baking masks?

Zablorg
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
I'm trying to make a material which has a number of stones inlaid into a floor. I'm doing a diffuse bake to get different color values of all the components involved, and I'm keying the RGB values of these colors so as to create three masks. One of the channel masks is white for stone, black for floor. Another mask actually has three separate values for different kinds stones, and one for the floor.

However, when I try to do various logic operation based on these masks, the anti-aliasing I've enabled during the bake means that I get strange halo effects around the stones, because of the transitional values between the two tones (or rather between the two RGB colors, which I imagine has a different impact than performing aliasing on each channel separately).

Is the typical process when baking masks to turn anti-aliasing off entirely? Or is it more application-specific? I'd guess that leaving it aliased makes the masking look jagged, and yet anti-aliasing seems to result in fuzzy boundaries, not ideal for delineations. But by definition I'm not sure I can get the best of both worlds (a smooth shape with sharp tone delineation) without blowing out the texture size.