Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Lighting problems

null
So I'm trying to light my model in ZBrush and am a bit new to this, the problem is that the lighting doesn't apply to certain poly painted objects, I can't get it to apply lighting over the polypaint but the Light is applying to the object when the polypaint is turned off. It likes the rocks and grass only but won't light the character. How would I go about fixing this? I turned the light way up to show what objects it likes most

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    This can depend on what material you have polypainted onto an object. If it is a matcap, then it gets its lighting information from the image that the matcap uses along with the current material properties (the light only adjusts the shadow placement during BPR rendering). If its a basic material rather than a matcap then the light will have an effect. 

It's possible you have a basic material currently selected, but the matcap is what is baked into the polypaint. This is why you'd see the change when you turn polypaint off (since it will default to showing the currently selected material). 
  • DanielSan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielSan null
    Ah I see, so does that mean I'll have to re-do the polypaint completely (just onto a non-matcap) to use it in lighting? I tried projecting the powlypaint detail onto a basic material copy and got the same problem

thanks
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If its the material, you'd want to switch from RGB/MRGB to just M, then do Color: Fill Object.  This will let you fill the object with a new material and will leave the RGB polypaint data alone. 

Side Note: If you fill it with the 'Flatcolor' material, this will remove all material data and default to showing the currently selected material. 

Otherwise I don't know if you can project material data, I think that operation only projects geometry and RGB color.