Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Judge my Artstation

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
 Looking for some thoughts and opinions on my Artstation, anything I should remove or is not up to scratch? 
Thanks!

https://www.artstation.com/carlkent

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks cool, your stuff looks like it's from a Far Cry game. You should work on your vines a bunch. Where your vines are attached to signs on the highway or the radio tower, it looks really unnatural. I think a lot of your plants aren't really up to par, so maybe spend some time practicing foliage?
  • htannerhartman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    htannerhartman polycounter lvl 5
    I would take out your hand painted wood and flame run. While both are cool, it seems like your passion is realistic environments and props. Also, your "Miscreated" content looks a lot more impressive than either of those other entries.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good points, I don't focus much on foliage do I will try to get some practice in, in the future. 
    I see what you mean with the painted work, Theres not much of it so I'll turn them off for now. 
  • Durkel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Durkel polycounter lvl 2
    Nice portfolio. The assets of the Miscreated are really nice.

You could compile the bigger projects and remove the shots you don't like. Some simple assets of fruit and vegetables for instance could be combined in less screenshots.

I personally do not like the gradient in the background you use thoughout your portfolio. It's a bit mesmerizing, especially when the props have different lighting conditions. I would go for a darker background or a blurry hdri. 

I watch a lot of content on my mobile phone. With some of the assets you can definitly enlarge some props to fill the space a bit more. Spare me some mobile data! :)
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't actually looked at it on Mobile but I can see what you mean, I did have some of them larger but on PC they seemed to large (atleast the smaller assets did) 
    I could make the backgrounds slightly darker, would just need to figure out how much to lower it without going to far, if I go to dark some of the darker assets (black plastics and metals) will get lost on the background and appear flatter. I will keep it in mind, thanks!
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've added all my Artwork now.
    Let me know what you think!
    Thanks!

• X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    I think your props for the most part are pretty good, but your environments are honestly kind of rough. Also, pay attention to the order in which you show things. Best first, and anything that doesn't compete with the best, remove. 

On Miscreated Oil Tanker, your first shot is a terrible one. There are so many other images lower down that are significantly better. The tanker itself just needs far more detail to make it worth showing at that scale.

On Miscreated Office Assets, I really don't like much at all. I'd say pull that completely. The lighting is flat, the models are rough, and the environment doesn't really have anything of any real interest in it. 

It's not my intention to be harsh, but some of your props are in fact quite good, but those two environments specifically need a lot of work.

Many of the others could be improved by paying attention to texel density, better lighting and some post effect work.