Home Technical Talk

Maya - Bevel using control edges possible?

Karaoke_Warrior
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
I'm moving from Max to Maya and I'm having trouble figuring out how to "clamp" the inner and outer radius of Maya's bevel tool. Alex Senechal has a video about this, discussing how the inner and outer radius of a beveled trim/lip should be different values. He achieves this by adding control edges to determine the radius of the bevel. In Max I can just add control edges, max out the value, and then cleanup by removing the control edges or merging verts.

Is this possible in Maya? I've tried beveling the "fraction" value past 1 but it bevels past the control edges creating an inside-out bevel. I've also tried edge constraint and messing with the Bevel Tool Settings, but I still haven't been able to figure it out. Any ideas?

Replies

• jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18

Try beveling the two edges independently but keep the "Fraction" value the same. If you bevel both edges at the same time, the bevel will be the average of both edge lengths and give you the same bevel value.

In this case because its on a 2d plane, I had to extrude some edges for it to bevel.

Alternatively, the bridge tool could be used to generate a smooth path between two edges
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    jRocket said:

Try beveling the two edges independently but keep the "Fraction" value the same. If you bevel both edges at the same time, the bevel will be the average of both edge lengths and give you the same bevel value.

In this case because its on a 2d plane, I had to extrude some edges for it to bevel.

Alternatively, the bridge tool could be used to generate a smooth path between two edges
    Thanks for the response jRocket. This was also the solution I came up with when I initially came across this. I was just used to doing it with control edges and thought I probably missed a Maya setting somewhere. Isolating bevels, as you've suggested, works just as well. Thanks dude!