Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BfA Shrine of the Storm fanart, looking for feedback

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Enhirement polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone! I'd like to start a thread and push this project as far as I can. Also looking to get feedback whenever possible. My goal is to have this be able to fit into the game.

So for the reference, I am using the Shrine of the Storm area in the new World of Warcraft expansion: Battle for Azeroth. I absolutely love this area, and am really excited to begin a new project with it's theme.

I have a big ref sheet, but I'll just have these two links if you are interested in the look I want to achieve.

Texture References

Initial concept! 

So I've actually fleshed out the concept a good bit while modeling and texturing. It's been a few days. I'm hoping that if I'm overlooking anything I could get some feedback. Thank you!

Note: I color picked from the texture reference while using basic lighting in marmoset to try and achieve the same look. 

Replies

• Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Refined some textures, added snail friends. It's coming along! As always, and critiques or ideas are appreciated. :smile:

• Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't have too much time to work on this today, but I decided to play around with the proportions and replace the spoon-thing with a bone. I like the story-telling element, still deciding if it's clear or not though. Also added more geo to the base so it's not so low-poly looking. As always, and critiques or ideas are appreciated. :smile:

• Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a bit more foliage to fill in the cracks! The bone kind of threw it off, so I removed it in the end. Beefed up the purple colors too, I think I like it a bit better now.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks way too cool! I'd say you were a bit too strict on your poly count though. You could easily add some geo at this stage without needing to go back and redo a lot of work.
  • Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks way too cool! I'd say you were a bit too strict on your poly count though. You could easily add some geo at this stage without needing to go back and redo a lot of work.
    Thanks @Ashervisalis ! I went ahead and upped the geo on the tentacles, I think it looks a lot smoother now.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, looks better. good job :)
  • Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, looks better. good job :)
    Thanks!

Update for tonight! Hue shifted the metals to be more brass colored, new VFX, curly-er tentacles, and smaller adjustments! Also trying out a new base with more details. Going to start polishing the scroll to be more detailed now.

As always, and critiques or ideas are appreciated. :smile:

• Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so, lots of updates regarding the VFX today! I think it looks a lot better now. Also some textures were polished as well.

Hopefully nearing the finish line soon. :smiley:

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh the new purple tentacle effects look slick! I'm not a big fan of the new design on the very bottom piece.
  • panicpancho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    panicpancho polycounter lvl 5
    It is really good!!! Oh I want to learn to do handpainted stuff like this! Do you have any advice or any tutorial I could follow? What is your workflow? Congratulations!
  • Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh the new purple tentacle effects look slick! I'm not a big fan of the new design on the very bottom piece.
    Thanks! If I have time to try out different parts of trim/textures I will see how they look for the base.

It is really good!!! Oh I want to learn to do handpainted stuff like this! Do you have any advice or any tutorial I could follow? What is your workflow? Congratulations!
    Thank you very much! I will PM you some resources for learning. My workflow is pretty simple, for this I purely used Maya for modeling and Photoshop for textures. The render is in Marmoset. Also, feedback is always important of course.
  • Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Had a mini-vacation, back and pumping more work on this. Decided the stretched textures just looked bad, so I went ahead and made one for the base. Other than that, general polish on textures and trying to up the values. Testing a new texture type for the back of the tentacles, I turned it down a ton but it might still be too much.

Critiques and feedback are appreciated. :smile: Thanks!