Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blades!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SebastianBielecki polycounter lvl 4
Project i was working on in my spare time. I don't have it very much so it took couple of weeks.
Concept made by super talented Tipa Graphic - here's his Artstaion: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4gyvW

I made high poly in 3ds Max, using double turbosmooth technique. Exported to Zbrush where i added some scratches, dents and imperfections. Low poly was made basically by removing not necessary edges and floaters and merging pieces together. Bake was done in Marmoset. Textures painted in Substance Painter. Renders are also from Marmoset.

Cage was done in 3ds Max. I made only one chain link, then in zbrush i created insert mesh brush with curves enabled. The paths where the chain should be placed i made in Max using splines. Exported them as 3 sided cylinders. In zbrush i removed one side and created 2 polygroups - polyloops, then framed with my new chain brush. I tried to make everything in Max but duplicating along path didn't gave me results i wanted, also in zbrush i could make adjustments using big Move brush. 

Wireframes and baked maps are on my Artstaion thread:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gYXN8

Cheers!

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    NICE blades!!! But why the background? Don´t get me wrong, it looks cool. But if the blades are the ones to be shown it would be better to place them alone. The background is just distracting and because of this it should only be used to make contrast.
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Marco!
    I don't know if you watched Dr. Strange. I wanted to create something more like blades library. In the movie there was similar cage with spell books. Didn't want to leave them hanging in the air or put on a flat surface, everyone does that. Maybe i overdid that cage a bit and maybe blades are poping out too much from the background, but this was a learning project, so next time i will know better :)
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    Unfortunately I didn´t saw the movie, but I understand you. It is nice that someone tries to go beyond with new ideas!! However, try to not add extra noise with the background. Having so many things in the space can defocus the composition. More specifically, those chains, in spite of the fact they look cool, they are increasing the overall noise.
    This is just my idea, so other people may not agree with me. However, I would recomend you using a less sharp type of chain if you keep them. 
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! thanks for your insights mam i will take your advices to the heart :D next piece will be better!