Online / Send Message
scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
My latest environment, i would love some feedback    <3

Replies

• MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    mmmmm...I love the general picture. The sky, the sun... It is truly beautiful. You made quite a good job here!

Now. It needs a lot of polishing. The trees don´t have a natural positioning.It looks like you randomly settled them on the ground.Besides, In this kind of scenes I would expect the trees to follow some artificial boundaries, because someone has put a fence there. With this I mean that a portion of that land is artificially defined and there should not be any trees inside it.

That rocks looks alone and randomly placed as well.

Another problem is the Windmill. Look a the door for example. Looks just like you made a boolean on a cylinder.There are no support plaques. Look at the following picture, around the door and window:

• scnd22
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    mmmmm...I love the general picture. The sky, the sun... It is truly beautiful. You made quite a good job here!

Now. It needs a lot of polishing. The trees don´t have a natural positioning.It looks like you randomly settled them on the ground.Besides, In this kind of scenes I would expect the trees to follow some artificial boundaries, because someone has put a fence there. With this I mean that a portion of that land is artificially defined and there should not be any trees inside it.

That rocks looks alone and randomly placed as well.

Another problem is the Windmill. Look a the door for example. Looks just like you made a boolean on a cylinder.There are no support plaques. Look at the following picture, around the door and window:

Hey thanks for your feedback! After reading it I searched some more reference and I also noticed what you said about the trees placement (mostly on the right side). Also I added support plaques on the door. The rock I know it is very random, i got the idea from a park near my house, there was a big rock like that in the middle of the park for years without any reason and I thing it adds to the image. Updated images below thanks again for your time  :) 

• scnd22
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
  • scnd22
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
  • scnd22
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry for double posting
  • MarcoAntonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    mmmm...ok.  :D

Much MUch better. ALWAYS uses references. They are your best friend :smiley:

• scnd22
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
     :D Thanks again. If you thing that there is something else i could add or change let me know!
  • alytlebird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    Yo, I'm loving this environment! The flowers are beautiful and the scene is just very stunning in general. A few areas I'd like to point out for consideration:

A. Your camera angles seem low in general, especially when looking at the wagon. Main camera angles should generally be done from eye-level, unless there's a specific (scene/story) reason for it to be from another angle. At risk of potentially contradicting that, I'd also try getting some angles from a bit higher up, so we get the scope of the windmill in relation to the field of flowers around it. Have that as a secondary angle to your main one. :)

B. Not sure if you're using Unreal, but if you are, I'd recommend looking into position-based material variation, specifically for the flowers. Right now they're a very uniform color, and I think it'd look a little more natural with some variation. There's a great 80level article going over some smart environment techniques, and this method is near the bottom: https://80.lv/articles/smart-environment-production-techniques/

C. Lastly, think about the wagon and how it fits into the environment, specifically the foliage interaction. Right now, it's sitting on top of full-bloom flowers. Has it been sitting there for a long time? Or is it frequently used? If it's been sitting there for years, it won't have flowers growing under it, rather there should be short, semi-dead grass underneath. And if it's constantly in use, it should have a more specific home that won't be constantly trampling flowers.

That's all I could spot. Nice work. :)
  • scnd22
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    scnd22 polycounter lvl 7
    Yo, I'm loving this environment! The flowers are beautiful and the scene is just very stunning in general. A few areas I'd like to point out for consideration:

A. Your camera angles seem low in general, especially when looking at the wagon. Main camera angles should generally be done from eye-level, unless there's a specific (scene/story) reason for it to be from another angle. At risk of potentially contradicting that, I'd also try getting some angles from a bit higher up, so we get the scope of the windmill in relation to the field of flowers around it. Have that as a secondary angle to your main one. :)

B. Not sure if you're using Unreal, but if you are, I'd recommend looking into position-based material variation, specifically for the flowers. Right now they're a very uniform color, and I think it'd look a little more natural with some variation. There's a great 80level article going over some smart environment techniques, and this method is near the bottom: https://80.lv/articles/smart-environment-production-techniques/

C. Lastly, think about the wagon and how it fits into the environment, specifically the foliage interaction. Right now, it's sitting on top of full-bloom flowers. Has it been sitting there for a long time? Or is it frequently used? If it's been sitting there for years, it won't have flowers growing under it, rather there should be short, semi-dead grass underneath. And if it's constantly in use, it should have a more specific home that won't be constantly trampling flowers.

That's all I could spot. Nice work. :)
     Hey there, thanks very much for the useful tips! Main reason the camera angles are low is beacause i don't want to show the "boundaries" where the environment ends, I added enough flowers to just fill the shots and also I'm faking the distance by scaling the background trees and house. I'm using Unreal and every time I open a project, my gpu is crying  :D. I could fill the rest of the landscape but I believe I would have to sacrifice the density of the flowers which I don't want. 
     Now about the position-based material variation I am using the speedtree node but I guess it is very subtle. I have read the article you posted but I will read it again to resfresh my memory (I was reading it at work so I missed a lot).
     Finally you are right, the wagon should show some interaction with the grass so i tweaked it, here it is.
     Thanks again!