Home Technical Talk

Interior Mapping in Spider-Man PS4

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Using Parallax Textures

It's still crazy how many effects, particles, and animations are done with shaders on this generation. You can animate leaves, simulate unstable 3D geometry, create particle effect, all that with some good vertex color mapping, smart use of texture and channel node branching.

Some were probably already familiar with this technique which is used to simulate depth for building interiors using textures.

Apparently it was used for the last Sim City entry but honestly I think Insomniac's Spider-Man was THE game that really showcased how impressive this technique really is.

It definitely adds a lot of depth, consistency and believability to the city. It looks really great in motion when swinging and climbing around.

Although, it's not perfect since being limited by what it really is.

More detail here:

https://www.alanzucconi.com/2018/09/10/shader-showcase-9/

More technical info on the game here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wr7vebb6Y

The game is simply gorgeous as far hard surface and environment goes.  City is lush, dense and tightly lit.
Good job to those who worked on it.

Big props to the motion team too. Spidey moves like a charm.

I tihnk we're set to sau it's probably the best looking ''Urban'' Open World we've this gen.

Replies

• Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    So they are baking a whole interior to a height map and then use Parallax to create a depth in kind of layers?
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    nope,  they're creating a box in the shader and mapping bits of a texture to it. 

If you just use a simple UV offset type parallax you end up with an infinite interior and nasty perspective distortion 
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    An arch viz studio I was at used this technique a few years ago in a very similar manner (at around the same time that Sim City used it). It completely blew my mind at the time, but there were some limitations we couldn't resolve. 

Our biggest issue, was trying to use interior mapping on a building with a curved surface. We ended up breaking the building up into various material IDs so that we could alter the orientation of the mapping around the curved surfaces. It was a mess, but still totally awesome to see in action.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Gorgeous game. Anyone have any links to the more techy stuff on Polycount to achieve this in an engine? Shaders, code examples, white papers etc?